Tandoori Murgi is the pride of Punjabi cuisine and has managed to impress people all over the world. This popular dish originated during the Mughal era and thus has Mughlai roots. It consists of roasted chicken marinated in yoghurt (dahi), lemon juice (nimboo ka ras) and zingy hot spices. It is named after the type of cylindrical clay oven, tandoor, in which the dish is prepared traditionally. It is heated using charcoal and wood, giving it a nice smoky flavour. For the chicken marinade, start with the lemon juice, by carefully rubbing it into the multiple cuts of chicken. It is allowed to rest for a while, after which the other elements of the marinade are also combined and spread over the chicken chunks. I have added a few drops of orange food colouring to the dish to obtain a vibrant hue. The spices in the marinade can be added according to taste. Keep in mind that proper marination is the key to get juicy, delicious chicken. So it should be allowed to rest for at least 8-10 hours, so that the flavours are well-soaked by the pieces. These chicken pieces are cooked in the microwave for a few minutes, followed by grilling on both sides. We get soft, succulent and perfectly golden Tandoori Murgi. It can be served with onion rings, lemon wedges and green chutney. This dish will give you a taste of Punjab, and will positively blow your mind.
You may also like our roasted Chicken recipes Haryali Chicken, Afgani Chicken, Malai Tikka, Chicken Tikka.
How to make Tandoori Murgi
|Lemon Juice (nimbu ka ras)||1 table spoon|
|Garlic (lahsan) paste||3-4 table spoon|
|Ginger (adrakh) paste||1 table spoon|
|Green chilli (hari mirch)||1-2 Pieces|
|Vinegar (sirka)||1 table spoon|
|Curd (dahi)||6-7 table spoon|
|Hot spices (Garam masala)||1 tea spoon|
|Red chilli (lal mirch) powder||1 tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||To taste|
|Orange food Colour||1-2 drops|
|Mustard oil (sarso ka tel)||2 table spoon|
|Lemon Wedges||Onion rings|
- 1. Make 3-4 cuts in each chicken quarter using a knife. Combine lemon juice and rub it into the incisions.
- 2. Cover it and let it marinate for about 30 min.
- 3. Make a smooth paste of garlic, ginger and green chilli. Combine the paste to yogurt, hot spices, red chilli powder, salt, food colour and little oil. Mix all the ingredients well.
- 4. Spread them over marinated chicken pieces. Coat the pieces with the yogurt marinade.
- 5. Let it marinate at room temperature for about 8-10 hours. Turn once or twice in between.
- 1. Cook chicken for 10-15 minutes in microwave at 100% power (or till the chicken is half cooked). The chicken should be tender and most of the marinade should be absorbed at this stage.
- 2. Then let it grill for 10 minutes. Turn the chicken and again grill it for 5-7 min or till the chicken becomes golden.
- 3. Now garnish "Tandoori Murgi" with lemon wedges and onion rings and serve this hot.
- 1. For making soft & juicy chicken, initially cook chicken on microwave for 6-8 minutes and then cook it on grill.
- Recipe Type : Chicken, Non vegetarian, Non Vegetarian, Punjab, Regional
Fantastic goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff prvieous to and you are just extremely excellent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it smart. I can not wait to read far more from you. This is actually a wonderful site.