Leftover Rice to Halwa Recipe
No meal is ever complete in my home without rice. Although my family is a big fan of rice, sometimes it gets monotonous to have the same bland rice again and again. Eager to experiment, I came up with the recipe of using leftover rice to prepare halwa. Halwa is a sweet dessert pudding of India. In this recipe, I have fried the leftover rice after grinding it. This is followed by adding sweetened milk (doodh) to it and slowly simmering the mixture. The milk gives thick texture and porridge consistency to the mixture. I have also used coagulated milk (khoya) here, which gives dairy-like taste and also acts as a thickening agent. Cardamom powder (elaichi) adds rich aroma. Finally, the halwa is sprinkled with roasted nuts and coconut flakes to enhance the crunchiness of the dish. The best part of the recipe is that it is very easy to make, and requires minimal amount of cooking time. So the next time someone complains of getting bored with plain rice, leftover rice to halwa is the way to go.
If you are looking for more Leftover recipes do check “left over Roti” to “Mawa Roti Roll”, Leftover Arbi Ki Sabzi to Kebab,” Leftover Rice” to pakode”, “Leftover Khichdi” to”Pakoda”
How to Make Leftover Rice to Halwa
|Left over Rice||2 cups|
|Clarified butter||3-4 table spoon|
|Sugar||6-7 table spoons|
|Coagulated milk (khoya)||½ cup|
|Dry fruits, chopped||3-4 table spoon|
|Dry Coconut||4-5 table spoons|
|Milk (doodh)||2 cups|
|Green cardamom (hari elaichi) powder||¼ tea spoon|
- 1. Take rice in a blender jar and grind it properly. (Texture will look like daliya).
- 2. Add clarified butter in a pan and fry rice for 5-7 minutes.
- 3. Now add milk and simmer it till milk dries completely.
- 4. Now add sugar and let it cook till sugar melts completely.
- 5. Then add coagulated milk and cardamom powder.
- 6. Now heat clarified butter in another pan, and fry dry fruits and coconut flakes in it.
- 7. Now put this in “Halwa”, mix well and put the flame off.
- 8. Enjoy hot Halwa with your family.