Ber Ka Achar / Kooler Aachar recipe
Kooler aachar or Ber ka achar is very popular in Bengal. In bengali, Ber is known as Kool. This pickel is prepared with red ripen, soften Ber. Ber remains available during spring season, and is offered as “Prasad” during “Saraswati Pooja”. This picke is also prepared during March and April because of it’s availability. Although, it is prepared during summer but it is usually consumed during rainy season. People love to have it in afternoon after their nap . In Bengal afternoon nap is very common and usually, ladies takes 2-3 hours afternoon nap . Once they get up at around 4.30-5.00 PM, they love to enjoy this sweet and tangy pickle . This pickle is also very popular among kids and men. It’s tangy and sweet taste is relished by everyone.
|Jaggery (Gud)||1/2 kg|
|Salt (Namak)||to taste|
|Black salt (kala namak)||4 tea spoon|
|Turmeric (Haldi)||2 tea spoon|
|Cumin seeds (Jeera)||5 table spoons|
|Whole Red Chilli (lal mirch)||10-15.|
|Mustard oil (sarso tel)||250 ml|
- 1. Clean and wash Ber and dry it in dark place.
- 2. Break all the ber, and add salt turmeric and salt in it.
- 3. Crush jaggery (gud) in separate bowl and now add this to Ber.
- 4. Mix this properly and keep this in sun.
- 5. You need to keep it in sun for at least 15 days.
- 6. Stir it once daily, before removing tis from sun.
- 7. Now, roast cumin seeds and chilli and grind them properly.
- 8. After 15 days, mix black salt, roasted spices powder, and mustard oil in Ber and mix them properly.
- 9. Transfer this mixture in a glass jar and again keep this under sun.
- 10. Again you need to keep this under sun for atleast 7- 10 days.
- 11. Your pickle is ready now.