Mochar Ghonto is one of the favorite vegetable of Bengali. It is served with dal and rice with some “Begun Bhaja”. Mocha is “Banana Flower” and is used as vegetable in many parts of India. Banana flowers are big red colored blossoms that grow at end part of banana bunch. It contains red coloured leaves that are not used for vegetables. Small yellow coloured flowers are used for vegetables. Mochar ghonto is delicacy in Bengali food. They prepare it for all of their auspicious occasions. It is prepared with mild blend of spices and a hint of coconut is added to give authentic flavour. “Daler boda” (Bengal gram lentil balls) are added to the recipe that gives additional taste to the gravy.
Only tedious job is the cleaning of flowers. Each floret contains a thick and hard central sting and a plastic like covering. Both of these have to be removed from each floret before washing and chopping. This cleaning process is little dull but I have seen ladies who are really fast in it.
How to make Mochar Ghonto
|Banana Flower (Mocha)||2|
|Potato (aalo)||2 medium|
|Cumin Seeds (jeera)||2 table spoons|
|Ginger (adrakh), chopped||2 table spoons|
|Green chillies (hari mirch)||3-4|
|Coconut (nariyel) grated||1/4 cup|
|Turmeric powder(haldi)||1/4 tea spoons|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Sugar (chini)||to taste|
|Cinnamon (dalchini)||2″ piece|
|Green cardamom (elaichi)||2-3|
|Bay leaves (tejpatta)||1|
|Mustard Oil (sarso ka tel)||3-4 table spoon|
|Bengal gram lentil (chana dal)||1/2 cup|
|Mustard Oil (sarso tel)||for frying|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
- 1. Soak Bengal gram for 4-5 hours, remove it from water and grind it to smooth paste.
- 2. Clean the banana flower. Remove its central hard part and the outermost layer, which looks like plastic.
- 3. Chop the flowers into small pieces and wash it.
- 4. Now boil it for 7-8 minutes with little turmeric and salt. Once boiled drain water and keep aside.
- 5. Peel potatoes and chop them into small cubes.
- 6. Grate coconut and keep aside.
- 7. Take cumin seeds, green chillies and ginger in a blender jar and grind it to smooth paste.
- 8. Grind cinnamon, cloves and green cardamom separately and keep aside.
- 9. Heat oil in a pan. Make small balls (bodis) with gram lentil and fry them in hot oil.
- 10. Keep the balls aside and in same oil fry chopped potatoes, once they become golden keep them aside.
- 11. Take another pan and heat little mustard oil in it.
- 12. Add bay leaves and boiled banana flowers in it. Let it cook for 5-7 minutes.
- 13. Now add cumin- ginger-chilli paste and let it cook for 4-5 minutes.
- 14. Then add fried potatoes and let it cook for further 5-6 minutes.
- 15. Add sugar and salt of your taste and mix it.
- 16. Then add grated coconut and hot spices mixture and put the flame off.
- 17. Mochar Ghonto is ready serve this with rice and dal.