An amazing recipe of Nawabs, Mutton Raan is delicacy of Lucknow. This dish needs little planning but easy to make.
Though a little patience and labor required for its preparation, but don’t worry, It’s going to be paid off by all the happy expressions of your family and guest. Raan is marinated for more than 24 hours for tenderisation and perfect flavour. A blend of spices and yogurt are used for this process. Correct spicing gives the mutton essence of Mughal flavour.
Mutton Raan is definitely a great choice for any special occasion to cast a spell on your near and dear ones!! It is a kind of delicacy which amazes everyone with its beauty and taste. This amazing recipe goes very well with Naan, Parathan or Sheermal. It can also be served with baked beans and roasted potatoes.
How to make Mutton Raan
|Mutton leg||1 kg|
|Raw papaya (kachcha papita), grated||100 grams|
|Roasted gram flour (besan)||1 table spoon|
|Clarified butter ( ghee)||½ cup|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Curd (dahi)||1 cup|
|Saffron (kesar)||1/4 tea spoon|
Spices to grind 1
|Onions (payaz) sliced||2 cups|
|Garlic (lahsan), chopped||8 table spoons|
|Ginger (adrakh) , chopped||4 table spoons|
|Roasted Peanuts (moongphali)||1/4 cup|
|Cashew nuts (kaju)||½ cup|
|Poppy seeds (khushus)||2 table spoons|
|Desiccated coconut (nariyel)||4 table spoons|
|Whole Red chilli (lal mirch)||3-4|
|Turmeric powder (haldi)||½ tea spoon|
|Kashmiri red chilli (kashmiri lal mirch)||4-5|
Spices to grind 2
|Green cardamom (elaichi)||3-4|
|Brown Cardamoms (moti elaichi)||2|
|Peppercorns (kali mirch)||5-6|
|Nutmeg (jaiphal), grated||½ tea spoon|
|Mace (javitri)||1 blade|
|Stone flower (patther phool)||1/4 tea spoon|
- 1. Trim all fat from the lamb. Using a small sharp knife, make deep incisions all over it.
- 2. Then apply grated raw papaya and a teaspoon of salt on the mutton leg.
- 3. Rub it so that the papaya juice penetrates the meat. Marinate for 2 hours.
Preparation of Spices & Marination
- 1. Fry sliced onions to a golden brown colour and remove it from flame.
- 2. Let it become little cool, then add garlic and ginger in it and then grind it into smooth paste.
- 3. Take whole red chilli, Kashmiri red chilli, cashew nuts, almonds, peanuts, desiccated coconut and poppy seeds in blender jar and make a smooth paste and set aside.
- 4. Now take curd, turmeric powder, saffron, roasted gram flour and salt in a big bowl and mix it well.
- 5. Add onion mixture and nuts paste mixture in curd mixture and mix everything.
- 6. Apply this mixture on mutton leg, rubbing the marinade well so that it coats the leg evenly. Keep aside for 2 hours.
- 7. Now take “spices for grind 2” in a blender jar and grind them to a smooth paste and apply this on mutton leg and keep it in fridge for 8- 10 hours.
- 1. Place a thick bottom pan on a slow coal fire.
- 2. Pour ghee and place marinated mutton with all the marinade in it.
- 3. Cover with a lid and place live coal on it and put it on dum for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and turn the mutton, cover and cook for 15 minutes or till the meat is tender.
- 4. Remove pan from fire and serve hot with sheermal, nan or Roti.