Starters at any functions or restaurants set the tone of the food for the rest of the evening. Punjabi weddings take the crown when it comes to appetizers. Not only do Punjabis have big hearts, but they also go big in terms of food. Out of all the tasty choices, Fish Tikka is my absolute favourite. It consists of mouth-watering fish fillets marinated with hot spices and yoghurt (dahi), followed by grilling in an oven. For this, kingfish (surmai), barramundi (bhetki), pomfret (paplet) or any other boneless fish can be used. Like with most other fish dishes, it is all about the beautiful marination of the fish fillets when it comes to nailing Fish Tikka. The spices in the marinade can be added according to taste. The irresistible combination of spices and curds makes this dish a winner. Curd gives a smooth texture to the marinade, and the fish fillets tend to absorb this and become tender and juicy. To add a special touch, I have also used black salt (kala namak) in the marinade. It channels a unique savoury flavour into the dish. Ideally, the fish should be marinated and allowed to rest for about an hour. Adding mustard oil (sarson ka tel) gives smoky flavour to the Tikkas. These are grilled for a few minutes by mounting them on thin skewers. Fish Tikkas are perfect for the summers, light, aromatic and delicious.
How to make Fish Tikka
|Surmai/ Bhetki Fillets, 2 inch pieces||400 gm|
|Lemon juice (Nimboo ka ras)||2 table spoon|
|Garlic (Lahsan) paste||1 tea spoon|
|Ginger (Adrakh) paste||1 tea spoon|
|Red chilli (Lal mirch) powder||2 tea spoon|
|Turmeric (Haldi) powder||1/2 tea spoon|
|Kashmiri red chilli (Kashmiri mirch) powder||2 tea spoon|
|Mustard (Sarso) seeds||1 tea spoon|
|Fennel seeds (Saunf)||1 tea spoon|
|Onion seeds (Kalonji)||1 tea spoon|
|Fenugreek seeds (Methi)||1/2 tea spoon|
|Black salt (Kala namak)||1/2 tea spoon|
|Salt (Namak)||to taste|
|Yogurt ( Dahi), whisked||1 cup|
|Butter (Makhkhan), melted||4 table spoon|
|Mustard oil (sarso ka tel)||2 table spoon|
- 1. Place the fish pieces in a bowl.
- 2. Take lemon juice, salt, garlic paste, ginger paste, turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, chili powder in a bowl and mix it with curd.
- 3. Heat a pan and dry roast the mustard seeds, fennel seeds, onion seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- 4. Add the black salt and crush them with a mortar and pestle.
- 5. Heat the mustard oil in a pan to smoking point, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- 6. Add the yogurt mixture to the fish along with the crushed spices and mix.
- 7. Leave it to marinate for thirty minutes to one hour.
- 8. Add the cooled mustard oil to the marinated fish and mix.
- 9. Place the fish on a greased rack in an oven tray and cook it in microwave at 100% for 10 minutes. Then grill it for 10-12 minutes or till done.
- 10. Serve it with onion rings and lemon rings.