Amritsari Fish Recipe
Dishes in Punjabi cuisine frequently use as starters. One such recipe is the Amritsari Fish. Named after a city located in Punjab, this dish is a popular street food, and also a common appetizer at gatherings. It consists of fish fillets wrapped up in crispy batter and deep fried. I have used hot spices to marinate the fish fillets, all of which can be added according to taste. Marinated fish should be kept aside for an hour for better results. Singhada, Salmon or any other big fish can be used for this recipe. To prepare the batter, gram flour (besan) is the ideal choice as it is a good binding agent and also very nutritious. Egg (anda) imparts a nice, rich flavour to the dish. Apart from these two, using carom seeds (ajwain) in the batter is an ace move as it has a wonderful aroma and distinct taste. The deep-fried fish should be golden-brown and perfectly cooked. The garnish is the cherry on the top- don’t forget to take this dish up a notch by sprinkling with lemon juice (nimboo ka ras) or hot spice (garam masala). No Street-food wish list is complete without the absolutely delightful Amritsari Fish.
How to make Amritsari Fish Recipe
|Fish fillet||8 pieces|
|Gram flour (besan)||1/2 cup|
|Garlic (lahsan) paste||1 table spoon|
|Ginger (adrakh) paste||1 table spoon|
|Carom seeds (ajwain)||1/4 tea spoon|
|Red chili powder (lal mirch)||1 tea spoon|
|Lemon juice (nimboo ka ras)||2 table spoons|
|Curd (dahi)||3-4 table spoons|
|Vegetable oil||for frying|
- 1. Clean, wash and cut fish into desired shape.
- 2. Apply salt, lime juice, ginger paste, garlic paste and red chilli powder and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- 3. Mix gram flour, curd, egg, carom, salt in a bowl and make a smooth batter using little water.
- 4. Keep marinated fish pieces dipped in this batter for 15 minutes.
- 5. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the fish till golden brown and crisp.
- 6. Sprinkle lemon pepper or chat masala on crispy golden fish and serve hot.