Bajre ki Khichdi, is one of most popular recipe in Rajasthan.“Annakut” on the eve of ‘Govardhan’ festival (the second day of Deepawali festival), is celebrated in Rajasthan. The entire community gets together and has bajra feast of a special recipe called “Khadibajra”. This special recipe is served with “Kadhi”, Mix vegetable and jagerry.
|Millet (bajra)||1 kg|
|Rice (chawal)||100 gm|
|Split green gram (moong Chhilka)||100 gm|
|Cumin powder (jeera)||1 tea spoon|
|Asafoetida (hing)||1 pinch|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
- 1. Clean millet seeds and grind it in motor and pastle (Immamdasta). Add few drops of water in between to manage it.
- 2. it will take 10 minutes and then clean it in a "soop", (used for cleaning grains in Indian kitchen).
- 3. Again grind the millet and and clean it in soop. Repeat the process for three times before using it.
- 4. Griding and cleaning process is little tedious and it takes time.
- 5. Once it is properly done, take 4 liters of water in a big bowl. Let it boil and then add millet seeds.
- 6. Add salt, asafoetida and cumin in it and let it boil.
- 7. Add rice and green gram lentil and boil it for 15 minutes. Keep stirring regularly.
- 8. After 15 minutes cover it and let it cook for further 15 minutes.
- 9. After 15 minutes, check if, millet seeds are cooked properly, then remove this from flame. Usually, Annkut is served with Kadhi and mix vegetable.