Fish Balls is a classic Chinese dish, enjoying widespread popularity in Asia. They are very versatile in nature, and can be eaten on their own, fried, boiled with noodles or used in curry. The basic ingredients used in it are fish, flour and hot spices. However, I have not stuck to the traditional recipe and tried to make something unique. I have incorporated White sauce inside the fish balls to give it a gooey and creamy flavor.
For preparing the White sauce, melted butter (makhhan) is combined with all-purpose flour (maida) to make a roux, which is cooked under gentle heat. Care must be taken not to brown the sauce. Then, milk is added while stirring with a whisk, and the sauce is cooked until it becomes thick and smooth. Worcestershire sauce is also added to this mixture, which is a fermented condiment having savory flavor, and often used in fish and meat dishes. Make sure that you don’t add a lot of it, as it has a deep and overpowering flavour. Filleted and ground fish is added to this sauce, along with some spices. These spices can be added according to taste. Some bread crumbs are also added to it in order to increase its binding property. This mixture is shaped into small balls, dipped in a beaten egg mixture (anda) and then rolled in breadcrumbs. Finally, these balls are deep-fried until they turn perfectly golden-brown. The excess oil can be drained out with the help of kitchen tissues. Fish balls can be served with a dip or sauce, or can even be used in noodle soups. These crunchy delights impress you in every form.
How to make Fish Balls
|Fish fillet||250 gram|
|Worcestershire sauce||½ tea spoon|
|Onion (payaz), grated||3-4 table spoon|
|Garlic (lahsan), crushed||½ tea spoon|
|Red chilli flakes (Kuti lal mirch)||½ tea spoon|
|Vegetable oil||for frying|
|Bread crumbs||1 cup|
For White Sauce
|All purpose flour (maida)||3 table spoon|
|Milk (doodh)||½ cup|
|Black pepper (kali mirch)||½ tea spoon|
|Butter (makhhan)||1 table spoon|
- 1. Boil fish fillet with water, remove it from flame and drain it.
- 2. Once it is cooled completely grind them in grinder.
- 3. For the preparation of white sauce, heat a pan and add flour, salt and pepper in it. Cook it lightly and add a table spoon of butter in it.
- 4. Now add milk and mix well with wire whisk.
- 5. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the sauce becomes thick and smooth.
- 6. Remove from heat and add ½ tea spoon of Worcestershire sauce in it.
- 7. Mix onion, garlic, red chilli flakes, salt and ground fish in a bowl and mix the white sauce in this.
- 8. Refrigerate the mixture for one hour.
- 9. After 1 hour remove it from refrigerator and add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of bread crumbs until mixture holds together well.
- 10. Now, shape the mixture into small balls.
- 11. Beat egg in a separate bowl and take bread crumbs in a plate and set aside.
- 12. Dip fish balls into egg then roll into bread crumbs.
- 13. Deep fry it until well browned and keep it in a kitchen towel to absorb the extra oil.
- 14. Serve “Fish balls” with any sauce or dip of your choice.