Cutlets are an important part of Indian cuisine and usually refer to fried snacks with a meat stuffing. The meat is cooked with aromatic spices, sautéed onions (pyaaz), and a hint of lemon juice (nimboo ka ras). These spices have a peppery flavour, and can be added according to taste. These are then dipped in a beaten egg white (ande ki safedi) mixture, rolled in bread crumbs and subsequently shallow or deep-fried in oil. In this recipe, I have prepared Fish Cutlet, which is a typical Bengali recipe. Bengalis are well-known fish-lovers and enjoy fish in every form. For making fish cutlet, any kind of fish like Tilapia, Barramundi (Bhetki), Carp (Rohu) or Bass fish fillets can be used. Besides fish fillets, I have also incorporated mashed potatoes (aaloo) into the stuffing along with a hint of lemon juice (nimboo ka ras) and coriander (dhaniya), which leaves a fresh flavour on the tongue. Frying is an important step to obtain perfect, crispy golden-brown fish cutlets. If you feel that the cutlets are breaking into pieces during frying, some corn flour can be added to the cutlet mixture. It is a good binding agent and also thickens the batter. Fish Cutlets can be served with sauce, or garnished with some chopped onions (pyaaz) and lemon juice. They enjoy peak popularity during festivities like Durga Pooja, during which they are served in fancy food stalls. Fish Cutlets can also be enjoyed as snacks alongside afternoon tea.
How to make Fish Cutlet
|Fish fillets||500 gram|
|Potato (aalo), boiled||1 medium|
|Onion (payaj), finely chopped||½ cup|
|Garlic (lahsan), finely chopped||1 tea spoon|
|Ginger (adrakh), finely chopped||1 tea spoon|
|Hot spices (garam masala)||½ tea spoon|
|Red chilli powder (lal mirch)||1 tea spoon|
|Cumin powder (jeera powder)||½ tea spoon|
|Fennel seed powder (sauf)||½ tea spoon|
|Black pepper (kali mirch)||½ tea spoon|
|Lemon juice (nimboo ka ras)||2 table spoon|
|Bread Crumbs||¾ cup (approximately)|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya), finely chopped||½ cup|
- 1. Take water in a pan and bring it to a boil. Add the fish fillets to the water and let it cook nicely (till the fish turns opaque).
- 2. Remove the fish from the water and shred it into small pieces.
- 3. Heat oil in a pan and sauté the onions, ginger and garlic in it till the onion turns brown. Add hot spices, salt, chilli powder, cumin powder, fennel and black pepper.
- 4. Add the shredded fish to it along with the mashed potatoes.
- 5. Keep stirring the mixture until it becomes very dry. Add the lemon juice and the chopped coriander.
- 6. Meanwhile beat egg in a bowl and keep aside. Take breadcrumbs in a plate and set aside.
- 7. Once the above mixture is cool enough to handle, mix everything nicely with hand.
- 8. Make small round balls out of the mixture and shape it into small cutlets.
- 9. Dip the patties in the beaten egg then coat it with bread crumbs.
- 10. Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the cutlets till they become crisp and golden in colour.
- 11. Serve hot “Fish cutlets” with sauce.
- If cutlet is breaking during frying process, add 2 table spoon of corn flour in cutlet mixture. Now make the cutlets and fry then.