Kids are always fussy eaters. It is difficult to grab their attention when it comes to food. But I can vouch for the fact that kids are infinitely fascinated by different colours and shapes. These factors encourage them to try out new dishes. I tried this trick in a recipe called Fish Fingers. I cut the fish fillets in thin, long strips resembling fingers. These fillets are seasoned with spices and allowed to rest for some time. They are coated in gram flour (besan)-bread crumb mixture and then dipped in a beaten egg (anda)-milk mixture. It should be noted that these fish fillets are fried on medium flame, as they could get burnt when heated on high flame. The excess oil can be removed by soaking with kitchen tissues. These crunchy Fish Fingers can be seasoned with lemon pepper. This is a very simple recipe and does not make use of many spices. Fish Fingers can be served with tomato sauce or cheese dip. Don’t be surprised if your kids end up asking for some more.
You may also like recipes of Fish Balls, Fish Chop, Fish Cutlets and Hot and Tangy Fish.
How to prepare Fish Fingers
|Fish fillets||½ kg|
|Freshly ground black pepper||½ tea spoon|
|Gram flour||½ cup|
|Bread crumbs||1 cup|
|Milk||2 table spoon|
|Vegetable oil||for frying|
- 1. Cut the fillets, horizontally into strips (1/2-inch thick). Season the fish with salt and pepper. Keep this aside for 30 minutes.
- 2. Combine the gram flour and bread crumbs and season with little salt and pepper.
- 3. Beat the eggs in a bowl with little milk and salt.
- 4. Heat the oil in a large heavy bottom pan.
- 5. Coat each piece of fish with the gram flour- bread crumbs mixture.
- 6. Then dip each coated piece of fish in the egg, and let the excess drip off.
- 7. Again coat the fish for a second time in the gram flour- bread crumbs mixture.
- 8. Fry the fish on medium flame in batches until crispy. Remove and drain the fishes on paper towels.
- 9. Season fish fingers with lemon pepper and serve with sauce of your choice.