The delicate and flavoured cuisine of Lucknow was an amalgam of a myriad cultural influence. Lucknawi Keema is one of the delicacies of Lucknow cuisine. Although Keema (minced meat) is prepared in several ways but taste of Lucknowi Keema is just out of world. It is a popular Awadhi dish, which has traditional authentic taste with smoky flavour.
It is prepared by marinating Keema (minced meat) with yougurt and a blend of spices. Marinated meat is cooked with onion on low flame till it becomes soft. A blend of spices like cumin, coconut, cloves and green cardamom gives an exceptional flavour to the recipe. For smoky flavour, burning coal is placed in centre of dish and is covered for few minutes. Then, the coal is removed but the dish gets an amazing smoky flavour. This really provides traditional taste to the recipe.
Lucknowi Keema is definitely a great choice for any special occasion to cast a spell on your near and dear ones!! It is a kind of delicacy which amazes everyone with its beauty and taste. This amazing recipe goes very well with Naan, Paratha or Tandoori Roti.
How to make Lucknowi Keema
|Meat mince (keema)||500 grams|
|Onion (payaz), finely chopped||2 cups|
|Ginger garlic (adrakh lahsan) paste||2 table spoons|
|Yogurt (dahi)||3/4 cup|
|Red chili powder (lal mirch)||2 tea spoons|
|Hot spice (garam masala) powder||2 tea spoons|
|Turmeric powder (haldi)||½ tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||½ tea spoon|
|Green coriander (hara dhaniya), chopped||4-5 table spoons|
|Green chillies (hari mirch), chopped||2 table spoons|
|Refined Oil||½ cup|
Roast and Crush
|Cumin seeds (Jeera)||1 table spoon|
|Desiccated coconut (nariyel)||2 table spoons|
|Green cardamom (hari elaichi)||2|
- 1. Toast cumin seeds, desiccated coconut, cloves and green cardamoms and lightly crush them and set aside.
- 2. Mix garlic- ginger paste, red chilli powder, hot spices, turmeric powder and salt with yogurt.
- 3. Marinate minced meat with yogurt mixture. Mix the mixture well and leave it for 1 hour.
- 4. Heat oil in pan, add chopped onion and fry till the onion becomes brown.
- 5. Add marinated minced meat; cook it covered on medium flame till meat becomes tender.
- 6. Once done turn the flame high and cook it till water dries completely.
- 7. Now add prepared toasted mixture (cumin-coconut) to the mutton and let it cook for further 5 minutes.
- 8. Lastly add some finely chopped green chillies and coriander leaves.
- 9. On a piece of aluminium foil place a burning coal in the pan, drop some clarified butter (ghee), and cover for few minutes to give smoky flavor to the mutton.
- 10. Remove coal, serve this with lachha paratha or nan..