Fish Chop Recipe
Bengalis have an eternal romance with fish, or as they fondly call it, maacher. Maacher Chop, or Bengali style Fish Croquette is a classic dish in which filleted and marinated fish pieces are cooked in hot spices, along with mashed potatoes (aaloo), then dipped in a beaten egg mixture and rolled in breadcrumbs, followed by deep-frying. Generally, fish like Carp (Rohu), Barramundi (Bhetki) or Tilapia are used to prepare this dish, but any other fish can also be used if these are not available. Marinating the fish fillets properly is very important, as it renders the fish tender and tasty. A variety of spices have been used in this step, all of which can be added according to taste. Adding boiled and mashed potatoes as filling with fish enhances the flavour of the dish. It should be noted that cornflour is added to the breadcrumb mixture to increase its binding capacity, when the fish is dipped in the beaten egg mixture and rolled in it. The cutlets should be deep-fried on a medium high flame carefully. The excess oil can be drained out with the help of kitchen tissues. These crispy Fish Chops taste delightful with some spicy Kasundi, which is a mustard sauce prepared in Bengali style. This recipe is a must-try for all the non-vegetarian lovers.
You may also like the recipes of Fish balls, Fish Cutlets, Fish Tikka, Fish Fingers
How to make Fish chop
|Fish Fillet, cut into pieces||½ kg|
|Potato (aalo)||2 medium|
|Onion (payaz), chopped||4 table spoon|
|Garlic (lahsan)||1 table spoon|
|Ginger (adrakh)||1 table spoon|
|Green chili (hara mirch), chopped||1 table spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Turmeric (haldi) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Lemon Juice (nimboo ka ras)||2 table spoon|
|Hot spices (garam Masala) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya), chopped||2 table spoon|
|Bread Crumbs||1 cup|
|Corn flour||4 table spoon|
|Vegetable Oil||for frying|
- 1. Boil and mash potatoes and keep aside.
- 2. Marinate the fish with some turmeric and salt and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- 3. Now heat oil in a pan and add onion, ginger, garlic, green chillies and sauté it for 5-7 minutes.
- 4. When onion becomes golden brown add salt, turmeric powder along with the fish pieces.
- 5. Cover the pan and cook fish on low flame till it becomes soft.
- 6. When fish becomes soft and tender mash properly.
- 7. Now add boiled potatoes & hot spices powder into fish and cook them for further 10 minutes.
- 8. Once the mixture becomes dry add lemon juice and coriander leaves and turn off the heat and let the mixture cool.
- 9. In the mean time beat egg in a bowl and keep aside.
- 10. Mix corn flour with bread crumbs and keep it dry in a plate.
- 11. Once mixture is cooled, make 10- 12 round shaped chops from it.
- 12. Dip each chop in egg, coat with breadcrumbs-corn flour and place in a flat bowl.
- 13. Heat enough oil in a pan, add the chops in oil and fry till the chops are golden brown.
- 14. Remove the Crispy fried chops from the oil and place onto kitchen towel and serve hot.
- Recipe Type : Fish snacks, Snacks
No comments yet.