Handvo is one of the savoury Gujarati snack. It is spicy cake, made by mixing rice, lentils (daal), sesame seeds, vegetables, and species etc.
It is prepared by mixing rice and daals/lentils, soak them for 3-4 hours, grind and make a batter. Keep this batter overnight for fermentation. Once it is fermented well, add vegetables of your choice. Traditionally, grated bottle gourd is added, it is very critical ingredient, as it gives handvo that desired softness from inside and at the same time is crisp from outside. Carrot, cabbage or cauliflower can also be added for variation. Little amount of spices can also be added to the recipe for flavour. Once your batter is prepared with all above ingredients, divide it into half. Now pour it in a pan where mustard seeds and sesame seeds along with curry leaves have been tempered. Pour the batter on tempering, spread it slightly by moving pan in circular motion, cover it and let it cook.Traditionally it is prepared in oven but steaming can also be done for cooking Handvo.
Enjoy crispy, spicy and at the same time soft Handvo with tea.
If you are looking for more Gujrati snacks do check Patra or Alu vadi, Khandvi, Methi Thepla, Aalo Bhajia
How to make Handvo
|Rice (chawal)||½ cup|
|Skinless split bengal gram (chana dal)||¼ cup|
|Skinless Split green gram(moong dal)||¼ cup|
|Split Black lentil (urad dal) skinless||¼ cup|
|Yogurt (dahi)||½ cup|
|Green chillies (hari mirch)||3-4|
|Ginger (adrakh)||2” piece|
|Mixed vegetables (sabziya), grated||2 cups|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya), chopped||4 table spoons|
|Vegetable oil||2 table spoons|
|Baking Soda||½ tea spoon|
|ENO (fruit salt)||1 tea spoon|
|Cumin (jeera) powder||¼ tea spoon|
|Coriander (dhaniya) powder||¼ tea spoon|
|Turmeric (haldi) powder||¼ tea spoon|
|Lemon juice (nimboo ka ras)||2 table spoons|
|Sugar (chini)||2 table spoons|
|Vegetable oil||2 table spoons|
|Mustard seeds (rai)||1 tea spoon|
|Asafoetida (hing)||1 pinch|
|Sesame seeds (til)||1 tea spoon|
|Curry leaves (curry patta)||2 sprigs|
- 1. Wash and soak the rice and lentils together for 4 to 5 hours.
- 2. Once soaked drain them and grind them into a paste.
- 3. Make a paste of ginger and green chillies and keep aside.
- 4. Then add ginger- chilli paste, cumin, coriander, turmeric powder, lemon juice, salt and sugar and mix it well.
- 5. Now add curd, oil and soda and adjust the consistency and allow it to ferment overnight.
- 6. Next day once it is completely fermented, add grated vegetables and chopped coriander leaves and mix it.
- 7. Now add ENO (fruit salt) and mix it very well.
- 8. Preheat oven to 200 C for baking. Pour the prepared batter into baking tray.
- 9. Now prepare tempering in another pan.
- 10. Heat oil into wok or small pan and add asafoetida, mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add sesame seeds and curry leaves.
- 11. Stir it for 40-50 seconds and put the flame off.
- 12. Now pour this onto batter and bake it for about 45-60 minutes.
- 13. Check it with a tooth pick and if it comes out dry your Handvo is cooked.
- 14. When done serve hot or cold with green chutney.
- It can also be cooked in steam like dhokhla.
- In vegetables you can use carrot, pumpkin, cabbage etc.
- Recipe Type : All time favourite snacks, Gujrat, Regional, Snacks, Snacks, Vegetarian snacks
No comments yet.