Baked Spinach and Sesame Patties Recipe
Spinach (palak) is well-renowned over the world for its nutritious properties. Adored by doctors and cartoon character alike, this green veggie contains a high amount of iron, which is a boon for anaemic patients. It contains vitamins that promote healthy skin and hair. Apart from these, spinach also has high fibre and water content which causes easy digestion and prevents constipation. This recipe combines spinach and potato (aaloo), which is a classic combination having tons of flavour. It also uses sesame seeds (safed til), which is an excellent source of essential nutrients. It has numerous health benefits, including reducing blood pressure and boosting bone health. In this recipe, I have used minimal amount of oil. Spices can be added according to taste. Corn starch has been used as the thickening agent. It is important to drain out the water from the spinach as it tends to absorb a lot. The mixture should have consistency good enough to make small patties, and should not be too runny. The final step before baking is the addition of tempering, which contains sesame seeds. The oven should be pre-heated to the correct temperature. These baked spinach and sesame patties taste brilliant when served with curds (dahi) and green chutney, usually prepared from coriander (dhaniya) or mint (pudina).
How to make Baked Spinach and Sesame Patties Recipe
|Fresh Spinach (Palak)||400 gram|
|Potatoes (Aaloo)||1 medium|
|Roasted Sesame Seeds (Bhuna Safed Til)||2 table spoon|
|Garlic (Lahsun), chopped||1 table spoon|
|Ginger (Adark), chopped||1 tablespoon|
|Onion (Pyaz), chopped||1 medium|
|Coriander leaves (Hara Dhaniya), chopped||2 table spoon|
|Green chilli (Hari mirch), chopped||2 table spoon|
|Olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Corn starch||2 table spoon|
|Salt (Namak)||to taste|
- 1. Blanch spinach, squeeze out excess water and chop it.
- 2. Boil potato and mash it.
- 3. Heat oil in a pan and sauté ginger, garlic, onions. Add spinach and cook it till water dries completely.
- 4. Now add mashed potato and adjust salt and let it cook for 5-7 minutes. Add corn starch and mix it well. Mix coriander leaves and let mixture cool completely.
- 5. Once the mixture is cooled, divide the dough into 10 small balls.
- 6. Make small patties with each ball and roll them into sesame seeds.
- 7. Pre heat oven at 200 C and bake patties for 6-7 minutes.
- 8. Serve "Baked spinach and sesame Tikki" with dahi and mint chutney.