Boiled Fara Recipe
Pitha is a Bengali, Bihar and Jharkhand dish and is a type of dimsum. They are typically made of rice flour, but sometimes wheat flour is also used. It usually contains a sweet or savoury filling inside. In this boiled pitha recipe, the filling consists of bengal gram (chana dal), garlic, turmeric powder, red chillies and salt. But variations can be introduced in the filling by stuffing vegetables like potato, cabbage or cauliflower in mashed form. A sweet filling can also be used by adding jiggery, sugar or grated nuts. Here, chana dal is used as it has high fibre content and it lowers cholesterol. It also tastes extremely delicious and can be digested easily. The method of cooking involves boiling as deep frying requires use of excessive quantity of oil. The wheat flour dough should be soft and easy to work with. One should be careful while stuffing the filling and it should be stuffed evenly inside. The sealing of the contents should be done firmly. Two different ways can be used to cook the pithas. They can either be boiled in water, or they can be fried using small amount of oil. These boiled pithas taste marvellous with just about anything, be it mint (pudina) chutney or even just tomato ketchup.
If you are looking for more healthy recipes do check Baked Paneer Roll, Palak Ke Baked Kebab, Stuffed Tortillas with chickpeas.
How to make Boiled Fara Recipe
Boiled Fara (Pitha) Recipe
|Bengal gram (chana dal)||1&1/2 cup|
|Wheat flour(gehu aata)||1 cup|
|Garlic cloves (lahsan ke dane)||8-10|
|Asafetida (hing)||¼ tea spoon|
|Red chili (laal mirch)||1 tea spoon|
|Mustard seeds(sarso ke dane)||2-3 tea spoon|
|Green chili (hari mirch) Slit||2-3|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Oil (optional)||2 table spoon|
- 1. Soak the split Bengal gram (chana dal) in water for 4 hours.
- 2. Put garlic, turmeric powder, red chillies, and salt and split bengal gram (chana dal) in a grinder and grind it for 2-3 minutes to make a coarse paste. This makes the filling.
How to proceed
- 1. Take wheat flour, salt add water slowly and make a soft dough.
- 2. Roll each ball into small disc (roti shaped) fill each of them with the prepared filling.
- 3. Boil 4-5 cups water in a deep pan, drop fara into it.
- 4. Let it boil for 10- 15 minutes and then remove it from water and leave it for 15 minutes.
- 5. Cut the balls with knife into two pieces and serve it with green chutney.
- Cut boil fara into two or three pieces.
- For fried Fara, heat some oil in a frying pan and put mustard seeds and asafetida.
- When mustard seeds become crackles, put slit green chili and curry leaves in the pan and mix for about 1/2 minute.
- Put all the fara in the pan and fry for 5-6 minutes or till they become crisp and golden..
- Recipe Type : Bihar, Low calorie, Low calorie snacks, Regional, Snacks
No comments yet.