Khandvi is a mouth watering traditional Gujarati snack. It is prepared with gram flour (besan), butter milk and is seasoned with grated coconut, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Some people also use sesame seeds for tempering.
It is very healthy snacks as it is prepared with steaming process. This recipe needs very less oil only for tempering. Cooking process of khandvi is also very easy. It just involves steaming of gramflour (besan) and butter milk and doesn’t require any complex cooking process. There is no use of spices; this makes the recipe very light and healthy.
Cooking of Khandvi requires few tricks. Preparation of smooth batter (yogurt and gram flour) is an important step and if you make it right, then your half of the problem is solved. The consistency of batter also should be correct. While cooking the batter it is important to make it in proper consistency. If you make it thick then spreading the khandvi mixture becomes difficult. So the batter should be thin and should be spread quickly to get a thin layer. It should always be taken care that batter should never be lumpy. Another important tip for khandvi making is always use fresh gram flour; old gram flour will break the rolls. To check the freshness of gram flour I use my Mom’s trick. Mix one table spoon of gram flour with 1 table spoon of water and if the mixture is sticky that means gram flour is fresh.
Once you are done with a nice Khandvi, finish it with tempering of cumin, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Sprinkle little fresh coriander and coconut, this makes khandvi irresistible.
If you are looking for other Gujarati snacks, look for our link Dhokla Recipe, Handovo, khakhra recipe, Dabeli.
How to make Khandvi Recipe
|Gram flour (besan)||½ cup|
|Sour Buttermilk (chhach)||1.5 cup|
|Turmeric Powder (haldi)||¼ tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Sesame Seeds (til)||1 tea spoon|
|Mustard Seeds (sarso)||½ tea spoon|
|Green Chillies (hari mirch) finely chopped||2 tea spoons|
|Curry Leaves (curry patta)||1 sprig|
|Coconut (nariyel) scraped||2 table spoons|
|Coriander Leaves (hara dhaniya) finely chopped||2 table spoons|
|Vegetable Oil||3 table spoons|
- 1. Take gram flour, buttermilk, turmeric powder and salt in a large bowl. Mix properly and make smooth batter.
- 2. Grease large plate or back side of plate (thali) with cooking oil and keep aside.
- 3. Pour batter into a heavy bottomed pan or kadai and cook on low flame.
- 4. Keep stirring constantly to avoid lump formation. (Cook until mixture becomes thick and does not taste raw. It will take approximately 8 minutes.)
- 5. Transfer a large spoonful of batter over previously greased plate. Spread batter in thin layer with the help of back of flat spoon or spatula.
- 6. Let it cool for 3-4 minutes. Once cooled, place straight cuts using knife and make 2″ wide strips.
- 7. Carefully roll each strip into roll.
- 8. Heat 2 tablespoons cooking oil in a small tempering pan. Sauté mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies. Add sesame seeds only in the end when sauté is ready.
- 9. Pour prepared seasoning over khandvi arranged in a serving plate.
- 10. Sprinkle shredded coconut and chopped coriander leaves and serve.
- Recipe Type : All time favourite snacks, Gujrat, Regional, Snacks, Snacks
No comments yet.