Makki Ki Roti Recipe
Mention Punjab and the first image comes in mind is lush green fields and mention Punjabi food and the first thing comes in mind is “Makki Ke Roti” and “Sarso ka Saag”.
After Wheat, Maize (Makka) is the staple food grains of Punjab. Makki Ki Roti is prepared on Tandoor in rural areas even today. In urban areas it is prepared on electric tandoor or griddle. Mustard (Sarso) in one of their main crop and it’s leaves are used to make sarso-ka-saag. For a nice and authentic flavour saag is cooked on low flame for very long time, some times for hours, It is then is tempered with fried onion, garlic, ginger and tomatoes in clarified butter. Butter is also an important cooking medium apart from being consume draw along with food. Saag and Makke ki Roti is not complete without a blob of white butter (makhhan). Jiggery and raw onion is also served with Saag and Roti.
Other Indian breads we have uploaded are Aalo Da Paratha, Sattu ka Paratha, Papad Ka Paratha, Hare Matar Ki Kachori, Dal Bhari Puri, Methi Thepla.
How to make Makki Ki Roti Recipe
|Corn flour (makki aata)||2 cups|
|Wheat flour (atta)||½ cup|
|Carom seeds (ajwain)||½ tea spoon|
|Luke warm milk to knead the dough||½ cup|
- 1. Mix the corn flour, wheat flour, carom seeds and salt.
- 2. Knead the dough by adding warm milk just before making the rotis.
- 3. Now take a clean small plastic sheet and put it on the kitchen slab.
- 4. Take a portion of the dough and shape it as a ball.
- 5. Place this on the plastic sheet. Then put some water on your fingers and press the ball by rotating it till it takes a shape of a roti.
- 6. Remove this roti and put it on a heated tawa. Let the roti cook from both sides on low heat.
- 7. Remove it from the tawa and serve hot with butter on top.
- Recipe Type : Roti/ Indian breads, Vegetarian
No comments yet.