Karonda Mirch Ki Sabzi
In a lazy Sunday, I was not in a mood to prepare lunch, but my husband wanted to have something special. Unwillingly, I went to check my fridge what options are available. I found Karonda (Carissa) lying there, which I bought for preparing pickle. I decided to do some experiment and prepared a curry with it.
Karonda Mirch Ki Sabzi is a tangy vegetable which is usually used in pickles. Here I have tried to prepare curry with it. For this recipe Karonda and green chilies are cooked with mustard. Mustard gives a unique flavor to this hot and tangy curry. A single spoon of this hot and tangy curry will change taste of your grey meal.
How to make Karonda Mirch Ki Sabzi
|Green Chillies ( Hari mirch)||100 grams|
|Turmeric (Haldi) powder||1/2 tea spooon|
|Mustard Seeds (Sarso ke dane)||1/4 cup|
|Mustard Oil (Sarso ka tel)||3-4 table spoons|
- 1. Make a paste of mustard seeds with water and leave it for one hour before use. (Immediate use of mustard gives a bitter taste to the gravy).
- 2. Clean and wash Karonda and green chillies and cut then into half.
- 3. Pour oil in a pan, put ground paste of mustard.
- 4. Immediately add little (1/4 cup) water and once water gets dry add turmeric powder and cook it till oil gets separated. (Pouring of water to mustard paste at this stage really gives an excellent taste to the dish.)
- 5. Now, add karonda and green chillies and cook it on low flame for 10-12 minutes.
- 6. Then Pour 1 cup of hot water and salt and prepare thick gravy.
- 7. Remove it from flame and serve hot with steamed rice.