Kadhi is a yogurt-based gravy dish, very popular in India. The special charm of kadhi lies in its versatile nature: It can be served piping hot with rice or as a cold soup in summers. The popularity of Gujrati Kadhi has even caught the fancy of prominent world leaders, who have enjoyed having it during their stay in India. It is not much different than the usual kadhi, except that it has thin consistency than the normal pakoda kadhi, and is lighter. The main ingredients used in this recipe are gram flour (besan) and sour curd (dahi). The tempering consists of a variety of aromatic spices, all of which can be added according to taste. The highlight of Gujarati Kadhi is its unique sweet flavour. An integral part of Gujarati cuisine, the sweet taste lends an authentic flavour to the kadhi. It should be kept in mind that the kadhi should never be boiled on high flame, as it has a tendency to curdle and form lumps. To prevent yoghurt from separating when heated, the mixture should be stirred continuously until it starts boiling. More gram flour can be added to obtain kadhi with thick consistency. Sprinkling coriander leaves (dhaniya) adds a fresh touch to the kadhi. Gujarati Kadhi can be served with khichdi or rice, and leaves a light, cleansing flavor. Alternatively, it can be used as tasty gravy for pakoras or koftas. Either way, Gujarati Kadhi will leave you floored with its simple yet classic palate.
If you are interested in more Gujarati recipes do check Gujarati Dal, Undhiyu, Ringanana Rawaiya, Methi Thepla
How to make Gujarati Kadhi
|Sour curd (dahi)||1 cup|
|Gram flour (besan)||2 table spoons|
|Ginger (adrakh) grated||1 tea spoon|
|Garlic (lahsan) crushed||1/2 tea spoon|
|Green chilli (hari mirch) paste||1 tea spoon|
|Sugar (chini)||1 tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Clarified Butter (ghee)||1 table spoon|
|Cumin (jeera) seeds||¼ tea spoon|
|Fenugreek seeds (methi)||⅛ tea spoon|
|Mustard seeds (sarso)||¼ tea spoon|
|Cinnamon sticks (dalchini)||½“piece|
|Whole red chilli (sabut lal mirch)||1|
|Curry leaves (kurry patta)||1 sprig|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya), chopped||2 table spoons|
- 1. Beat gram flour and curd and make a smooth mixture.
- 2. Add 2 cups of water and beat it again.
- 3. Transfer this mixture in a pan and let it boil on medium flame for 10 minutes.
- 4. Now add crushed garlic, ginger, green chillies, salt and sugar and let it boil for further 10 minutes.
- 5. In pan heat clarified butter, add whole red chilli, mustard, fenugreek, cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- 6. Now add cloves and cinnamon and stir it for 1 minute. Now add curry leaves and stir it for 40-50 seconds and pour this mixture in boiling kadhi.
- 7. Let it boil for 3-4 minutes and then garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
- Recipe Type : Dal and Kadhi, Gujrat, Regional, Vegetarian, Vegetarian
No comments yet.