Samosa is a fried pastry with a filling of potatoes. Samosa is one of the most favourite snacks of Indians. It is also a popular appetizer of Southeast Asia, Central Asia and many other part of the world. In India, it is well-liked in north, but now days it is becoming popular in south also.
Samosa contains a shell which is made up of all purpose flour and the filling of shell is prepared with boiled potatoes, peas or paneer. But most commonly potatoes are used.
The main trick of Samosa making is preparation of its dough. While preparing dough, enough hot oil (moyen) should be added to the flour and then hard dough should be prepared by applying cold water. This gives a real crisp texture to the crust.
A hot filling is prepared with boiled broken potatoes and sometimes peanuts, paneer or peas are also added to the mixture.
While making the shell with the dough it should be rolled very thinly. Then it is folded and is stuffed with the filling. Prepared raw Samosa should be left for drying for few hours, this adds to the crispiness.
Samosa should be fried on very low flame; this is again very necessary step in Samosa making. These are deep fried till becomes of golden brown colour. Maintaining the frying on low flame is again essential for a good texture of Samosa.
How to make Samosa
|All purpose flour (maida)||1 cup|
|Melted clarified (ghee)||2 table spoon|
|Carom seeds (ajwain)||¼ tea spoon|
|Potatoes (aalo)||2 medium|
|Green Peas (matar)||½ cup|
|Green Chilies (hari mirch), finely chopped||1 piece|
|Cumin (jeera) seeds||½ tea spoon|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)||¼ cup|
|Hot spices (garam masala)||½ tea spoon|
|Red chili (lal mirch) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Dry Mango (amchoor) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Coriander (dhaniya) powder||½ tea spoon|
- 1. Mix salt and carom seeds in the flour. Add hot ghee in it and make hard dough by adding enough water.
- 2. Cover it with moist muslin cloth and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- 1. Boil potatoes peel it and mash it coarsely. Boil peas, drain and keep it separately.
- 2. In a pan put some oil. Add cumin seeds and cook till it crackles.
- 3. Now add green chilies, turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, mango powder, hot spices powder and stir it for 2-3 minutes.
- 4. Add green peas, potatoes and mix it well. Add salt and cook it for 5-7 minutes.
- 5. Now add coriander leaves and put the flame off. Let the mixture cool completely.
- 1. Make small rolls of dough and roll it into a 4"-5" diameter circle.
- 2. Cut it into two parts like semi-circle.
- 3. Now take one semi circle and fold it like a cone (Use water while doing so).
- 4. Place a spoon of stuffing in the cone and seal the third side using a drop of water.
- 5. Heat oil in a wok and deep fry till golden brown (fry on a medium flame).
- 6. Serve “Samosa” hot with Imli chutney.
- For making it crispy, fry it on low temperature. This may take little more time for cooking, but the samosa will be crisper.