Patra or Alu Vadi
Patra (patrveliya) also called as alu vadi or pathrode in Marathi. Unlike the name reflects alu or aloo (potato in hindi) it has nothing to do with potatoes. It is made by colocassia leaves also called as Arbi ke patte. Patra is a delicious Gujarati and Maharashtrian snack. It is sweet, spicy and salty at the same time, leaving your taste buds wanting for more.
Colocassia leaves should be washed and dried before starting with the recipe. Then gram flour paste, which is made by adding ginger, garlic, chilli and jaggery (gur) is applied on leaves. They are then rolled and stacked on each other and are steamed and tempered later on. One can also deep fry or shallow fry them. Serve them hot with Coriander chutney (dhaniye ki chutney). These stuffed and spicy patra rolls makes for a favorite tea time snack.
If you are looking for more Gujarati snacks recipes do check Aalo Bhaji, Dabeli, Dhokla, Khakhra
How to make Patra or Alu Vadi
For Patra Recipe
|Colocasia leaves (arbi ke patte)||12|
|Vegetable oil||2 table spoons|
|Mustard seeds ( rai)||1 tea spoon|
|Sesame seeds (til)||1 table spoon|
For Gram flour Mixture
|Gram flour (besan)||2 cups|
|Ginger (adrakh) paste||1 tea spooon|
|Green chilli (hari mirch) paste||1 tea spoon|
|Turmeric powder (haldi)||¼ tea spoon|
|Coriander powder (dhaniya)||1 tea spoon|
|Red chilli (lal mirch) powder||1 tea spoon|
|Hot spices (garam masala) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Yogurt (dahi)||2 table spoons|
|Jiggery (gur), grated||¾ cup|
|Tamarind (imli) pulp||2 table spoon|
|Vegetable oil||1 tea spoon|
For Gram flour mixture
- 1. Take gram flour in a bowl. Now add green chilli- ginger paste, coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric, asafoetida, hot spices and salt.
- 2. Mix it well then add oil, curd, tamarind pulp and water and make a smooth batter. (Mix till jiggery melts properly).
- 3. Now keep the mixture aside.
- 1. Wash the colocasia leaves and dry using a kitchen towel.
- 2. Place the leaves with the vein side facing you on a clean dry surface and remove the veins using a sharp knife.
- 3. Place a leaf with shiny face towards you, apply little gram flour mixture and spread it evenly.(keep the tip towards you)
- 4. Apply little gram flour mixture on another leaf and place it in on the first leaf with the tip in the opposite direction.
- 5. Continue the procedure further with 4 more leaves.
- 6. Fold the leaf around 1” from one side.
- 7. Apply the gram flour mixture on it. Repeat the same with the other side.
- 8. Fold the leaf around 1” from your side and apply little gram flour paste over it.
- 9. Roll it up tightly, while applying gram flour mixture with each fold. Tie it lightly with help of a thread and keep aside.
- 10. Repeat with the remaining 6 leaves and gram flour mixture to make 1 more roll and steam in a steamer for 30-40 minutes or till it becomes firm.
- 11. When cool, cut them into ½” thick slices.
- 12. Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- 13. When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- 14. Add the patra pieces, toss gently and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- 15. Now your patra is ready to serve.
- Recipe Type : All time favourite snacks, Gujrat, Regional, Snacks, Snacks, Vegetarian snacks
It’s really a great and helpful piece of information. I am satisfied that you
simply shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this.
Thank you for sharing.