Aalo Bhajia Recipe
Potatoes (aaloo) are just about everyone’s favourite vegetable in India. They are very versatile, and can be used in curries, fried snacks, etc. Aaloo bhajias are crispy, fried delicious snacks served with chutney. In this recipe, I have used multiple flours to prepare the bhajia batter. A combination of gram flour (besan), rice flour (chawal ka atta), semolina (suji) and corn flour has been used. Thinly sliced potatoes are alternatively soaked in hot water followed by ice cold water. Different spices are added to the bhajia batter .Turmeric powder (haldi) provides a nice yellow colour, while red chilli powder (lal mirch) gives a spicy touch. The potato slices are completely drained and coated with the batter. The mixture should be thin and should stick to the potatoes. These slices covered with batter are then tossed into a large wok heated with oil. They are deep-fried until they attain perfect golden-brown colour. The extra oil can be drained by using kitchen paper towels. These aaloo bhajias brighten up any rainy day and when served hot with chutney, leave you asking for more.
How to make Aalo Bhajia Recipe
|Potatoes (aalo)||250 grams|
|Gram flour (besan)||½ cup|
|Rice flour (chawal ka aata)||¼ cup|
|Semolina (suji)||1 table spoon|
|Corn flour||1 tea spoon|
|Lemon juice (nimboo ka ras)||2 table spoons|
|Green chillies (hari mirch)||6-7|
|Garlic (lahsan) cloves||6-7|
|Fresh coriander (hara dhaniya), chopped||4-5 table spoons|
|Red chilli (lal mirch) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Carom seeds (ajwain)||¼ tea spoon|
|Turmeric (haldi)||¼ tea spoon|
|Sugar (chini)||1 tea spoon|
|Oil||To deep fry|
|Chilli flakes (kuti lal mirch)||½ tea spoon|
|Black salt (kala namak)||¼ tea spoon|
- 1. Wash and cut potatoes in thin slices.
- 2. Now put the potatoes into hot water for 2 minutes.
- 3. Immediately drain out the hot water and add iced water in potato slices and leave them aside for 1 hour.
- 4. Crush garlic and green chillies in motor and pestle.
- 5. Mix gram flour, semolina, corn flour, rice flour, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- 6. Now add crushed garlic- green chillies, coriander leaves, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, carom seeds and lemon juice and mix it well.
- 7. Drain the potatoes and immediately toss the potatoes in the flour mixture. The mixture should stick to the potatoes. If it seems dry, add little water to just coat the potatoes.
- 8. In a large wok, heat enough oil and slowly place potato slices into the pan.
- 9. Fry them on medium flame till they become golden in colour.
- 10. Remove them from oil and drain on paper towels.
- 11. Sprinkle some black salt and chilli flakes and serve.