Undhiyu is signature cuisine of Gujarat. You will find this recipe as an integral part of menu in every wedding, festival and occasions. Rich in vegetables this recipe is also called as Surti Undhiyu (word surti comes from city of Gujarat Surat). Word Undhiyu is taken from word undhu which means upside down, this recipe is traditionally cooked in a pot which is placed upside down on the flames. So, undhiyu basically is a one pot vegetable savoured in states of Gujarat. Though most of the vegetables used here are seasonal , still one can try hand on this recipe with vegetables available in the market. The best season to savour undhiya is winters as most of the vegetables and beans like broad beans are available in winters.
If cooked by traditional method, undhiyu takes lot of time to cook. All the veggeis and muthiyas are separately fried. But here we are preparing it in less time consuming method. Here all vegetables along with methi muthia (also called as dumplings) are steamed in a pressure cooker. Instead of steam you can also deep fry these methi muthiyas. Here vegetables like raw banana, ivy gourd, small brinjals,sweet potatoes, small potatoes, kand (purple yum, surti papdi (flat beans), and fresh pigeon peas also called as tuvar beans or lilva( in Guajarati) are added. If tuvar lilva (pigeon peas) are not available one can also add fresh green peas. Onions and ginger garlic paste is added for flavour but, if you do not eat onion garlic, you can skip them also. Generally undhiyu is cooked using too much of oil, but when u are making it at home, you can cook it in less oil as well. Once it is prepared, combine it with puris and rice and satisfy your taste buds.
If you are looking for more Gujrati food do check Handvo, Gujrati Dal, Gujrati Kadhi.
How to make Undhiyu Recipe
|Baby Brinjal (baingan)||3-4|
|Baby potatoes (chhota aalo)||4-5|
|Sweet potatoes (meetha aalo)||1 medium|
|Yam (kand)||100 grams|
|Broad beans (surti fali)||10-12|
|Raw bananas (kachha kela)||2|
|Coconut (nariyel) scraped||¼ cup|
|Asafoetida (hing)||A pinch|
|Turmeric (haldi) powder||1 tea spoon|
|Mustard seeds (sarso)||1 tea spoon|
|Salt||As per taste|
|Vegetable oil (tel)||5 table spoons|
For green masala
|Sugar (chini)||1 table spoon|
|Ginger (adrakh)||2’ pieces|
|Green chillies (hari mirch)||4|
|Garlic cloves with leaves (hara lahsan)||1 bunch|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)||1 cup|
|Carom seeds (ajwain)||1 tea spoon|
|Gram Flour (besan)||¼ cup|
|Wheat flour (atta)||1 cup|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Fenugreek Leaves (methi)||½ cup|
|Ginger (adrakh)||1” piece|
|Green Chillies (hari mirch)||2|
|Coriander seeds (dhania)||1 tea spoon|
|Cumin seeds (jeera)||¼ tea spoon|
|Water (pani)||1 cup|
|Oil||To deep fry|
- 1. Mix all the Muthiyia ingredients except oil and make firm dough.
- 2. Divide the dough into small portions and then shape them into one-inch long half-inch thick rolls.
- 3. Heat enough oil in a pan and deep fry the rolls till they become golden in colour.
- 4. Remove and keep them aside to cool.
- 1. To make green masala, blend green chillies, ginger, 5-6 garlic, a bunch of green garlic shoots along with the garlic, coriander leaves, pinch of salt, carom seeds, cumin seeds, and sugar in a blender.
- 2. Mix the green masala with shredded coconut and keep 1/4th of the masala to stuff the potatoes and eggplants.
- 3. Wash, peel off and dice yam, sweet potatoes, and raw bananas.
- 4. Peel and cut potatoes with “+” shaped slit and keep them intact from one end.
- 5. Wash Brinjal and slit them into four without cutting the stem.
- 6. String beans and cut into one-inch long pieces.
- 7. Now stuff in the green masala mixture in potatoes and brinjal and keep aside.
- 8. Heat up oil in a thick-bottomed pan; add in asafoetida and mustard seeds.
- 9. When mustard seeds crackle mix in ground spices and broad beans.
- 10. Put the rest of the vegetables in layers one on top of the other and sprinkle salt and turmeric powder over it.
- 11. Stir-fry it for five minutes on high flame heat pour one cup of water in it and reduce the flame to low and let it cook for 10- 15 minutes.
- 12. Then add Muthiyia and let it cook again for 15 minutes on low flame.
- 13. Do not use spoons, mix the vegetables with shaking.
- 14. Serve hot decorated undhiyu with bajra rotla and chutney.
- Recipe Type : Gujrat, Regional, Vegetarian
No comments yet.