Cholar Dal- Loochi is my one of the favourite breakfast. Cholar Dal is a beautiful yellow lentil concoction, a traditional Bengali recipe. This exotic soup is one of the highlights of Bengali cuisine. This protein-rich thick dal is able to achieve the correct balance between crunchy and sweet, by making good use of chopped coconut pieces (nariyal ke tukde) and sugar (cheeni) respectively. The tempering consists of an interesting array of aromatic spices like bay leaf (tej ka patta), cinnamon (dal cheeni) and some more. This tempering, simmered in clarified butter (ghee) is crucial to obtain the perfect flavours of the dal. The spices in it can be adjusted according to taste. After the tempering is added to the dal, it is allowed to cook for a few minutes. Cholar Dal has a unique palate- the mildly spicy taste is complemented by the hint of sweetness. It tastes heavenly when served with luchi (deep-fried flatbread). It is a simple recipe, and does not take a lot of time to prepare. Cholar Dal is always a standout dish when it comes to Bengali wedding ceremonies and also Durga Pooja. There’s something about this bright cup of sunshine that makes it a highly impressive dish hard to resist.
How to make Cholar Dal
|Bengal gram (chana dal split)||1 cup|
|Turmeric powder (haldi)||½ tea spoon|
|Cumin (jeera) powder||1 tea spoon|
|Sugar (chini)||1 tea spoon|
|Cinnamon (dalchini)||1” piece|
|Green cardamoms (choti elaichi)||2|
|Bay leaf (tej patta)||1|
|Dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch)||2-3|
|Fresh chopped coconut (nariyal ke tukde)||2 table spoons|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||1 tea spoon|
- 1. Wash and soak the dal for an hour in water.
- 2. Add the soaked chana dal, turmeric powder and 3 cups water in the pressure cooker and cook it for 3-4 whistle.
- 3. Now remove the whistle, and let it simmer till dal becomes little concentrated.
- 4. Heat clarified butter in a pan, add the bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and dry red chillies and fry till+ they become aromatic.
- 5. Now add chopped coconut and fry till the coconut becomes light brown.
- 6. Pour the whole tempering mixture into the simmering dal stir it.
- 7. Finally add cumin powder and red chili powder and simmer it for 3-4 minutes.
- 8. Now put the flame off and serve cholar dal with luchi.