Gobi Musallam Recipe
Gobi musallam is one of the most relished vegetarian recipes in Mughal cuisine. Musallam means “whole”, whole gobi (cauliflower) is prepared on low charcoal flame for this unique recipe. In this recipe whole cauliflower is marinated with blend of rich spices and is cooked on low flame. Quality and quantity of ingredients used for marination plays important role for the authentic taste of musallam. Good amount of dry fruits are added here for the richness of gravy. Amount of Clarified butter used in gravy is on higher side that is again necessary for flavour.
How to make Gobi Musallam
|Cauliflower (gobhi)||1 medium sized|
|Red chilli powder (lal mirch)||1 tea spoon|
|Turmeric powder (haldi)||½ tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||½ cup|
|Onion (payaz)||1 large|
|Ginger (adrakh), chopped||2 table spoons|
|Garlic (lahsan), chopped||1 table spoon|
|Mace (javitri)||1 blade|
|Cinnamon (dal chini)||1 stick|
|Green cardamom (hari elaichi||3-4|
|Poppy seeds (khuskhus)||2 table spoon|
|Cashew nuts (kaju)||4-5 table spoons|
|Peanuts (moongphali)||4-5 table spoons|
- 1. Wash the whole cauliflower, cut off the main stalk and remove the leaves.
- 2. Parboil cauliflower in salted water and keep aside.
- 3. Finely slice the onion, fry to a golden brown colour and grind to a paste (grind 1).
- 4. Lightly roast the poppy seeds, peanuts and cashew nuts. Take these in a grinder jar and make a smooth paste (grind 2).
- 5. Separately grind the garlic, ginger, mace, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves by adding little water and make a smooth paste (grind 3).
- 6. Now in a big pan heat the clarified butter and fry the cauliflower from both sides.
- 7. Now take curd in a bowl and mix all three prepared pastes in it.
- 8. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt in curd mixture and pour it over the cauliflower.
- 9. Place the cauliflower in a heavy pan along with the curd mixture. Pour ghee on the top and sides.
- 10. Cover the pan and cook it on slow charcoal fire (It is better to put some hot charcoal on lid also). Cook till the cauliflower is done.
- If charcoal fire is not available, Gobi Mussalam can be baked at 180 C for 15- 20 minutes. It can also be cooked on very low flame of gas.