Laziz Aloo Recipe
Laziz Aloo is a rich Mughlai vegetarian recipe, which is popular in Awadh. In this recipe potatoes are stuffed with rich mixture of coagulated milk (mawa) and dry fruits. A deep hole is made in potatoes and is deep fried. Then the cooked potatoes are stuffed with rich stuffing.
Thick gravy is prepared with fried onion and it’s taste is enriched by adding a blend of authentic spices. Saffron and screw pine (Kewra) water is added to boost the flavour of gravy. This recipe is prepared on slow charcoal flame for traditional authentic taste.
Although the preparation method of this recipe is little tedious and little time consuming but it’s lip- smacking taste will force you to prepare frequently. If prepared properly, it can be your party catcher dish.
Laziz Aloo goes well with Naan, Tandoori Roti or Sheermal.
You may also like our Awadh recipes like Nimona, Dhingri Dolma, Gobi Musallam, Noor Jahani Kofta.
How to make Laziz Aloo Recipe
|Small potatoes (chhote aalo)||500 gram|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||½ cup|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Coagulated milk (khoya)||250 grams|
|Curd (dahi)||2 table spoons|
|Chironji||2 table spoons|
|Cashew nuts (kaju)||6 table spoons|
|Onions (payaz) , sliced||1 cup|
|Curd (dahi)||1 cup|
|Red chilli powder (lal mirch)||¼ tea spoon|
|Poppy seeds (khuskhus)||4 table spoons|
|Green cardamoms (hari elaichi)||3-4|
|Mace (javitri)||¼ tea spoon|
|Screwpine water ( Kewra jal )||2 table spoons|
|Milk (doodh)||2 table spoons|
|Saffron (kesar)||5-6 strands|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||¼ cup|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
- 1. Wash and peel the potatoes, and prick it uniformly with fork. Now scoop it with light hand from inside (as shown in picture).
- 2. Apply a teaspoon of salt all over and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- 3. Heat clarified butter (ghee) in a heavy pan and fry the potatoes till becomes soft and golden in colour. Once done remove them from oil and keep them aside.
- 4. Now lightly fry the cashew nuts and chironji separately.
- 5. Once they become of pink, remove them from oil and lightly crush in motor and pestle.
- 6. Now lightly roast coagulated milk (khoya) and mix them with crushed dry fruits.
- 7. In this mixture, add salt and 2 tablespoons of curd, blend well and stuff them inside the potatoes.
- 1. Soak saffron in milk and set aside.
- 2. Heat little clarified butter (ghee) in a pan.
- 3. Fry the finely sliced onions to a golden brown colour. Remove them from oil and let them become little cool. Now grind them to a smooth paste.
- 4. Grind poppy seeds, cloves, cardamoms and mace separately to make a smooth paste.
- 5. In the remaining curd, mix onion paste, hot spices paste, red chilli powder and dissolved saffron, screwpine water and blend well.
- 1. Now mix the prepared mixture with stuffed potatoes.
- 2. Grease a thick bottom pan; spread the prepared mixture and the remainder of the ghee on it.
- 3. Then cover with lid and cook it on charcoal fire on very low flame for 30 minutes or till the potato is done.
- 4. Garnish it with chopped coriander and serve hot with chapatti or nan.
- 1. If charcoal fire is not available then it can be prepared on very low flame of gas.
- Recipe Type : Lucknow, Regional, Vegetarian
No comments yet.