Nimona is a popular dish of Bihar and Eastern UP. In Lucknow also Nimona is very popular.
It’s main ingredient is fresh green peas and thus most commonly prepared in winter season. A blend of spices are used for the preparation of Nimona. For authentic taste, it is important to use spices in accurate measurement. Use of potatoes is optional. In this recipe, I have used but can be omitted. Traditionally, peas are ground and used for gravy preparation and it gives beautiful green colour to the dish.
In winters Hot Nimona is served with Rice or Roti with some onions and green chillies. Try this amazing recipe once, trust me you will include this in your regular meals.
How to make Nimona Recipe
|Green peas (hara matar)||400 grams|
|Potatoes (aalo)||4 medium|
|Coriander leaves, Chopped||5-6 table spoons|
|Garlic (lahsan) cloves||7-8|
|Green chillies (hari mirch)||4-5|
|Onion (payaz), grated||1 big|
|Tomato (tamater), chopped||1 small|
|Bay leaf (tej Patta)||1|
|Fenugreek seeds (methi)||¼ tea spoon|
|Turmeric powder (haldi)||¼ tea spoon|
|Sugar (chini)||¼ tea spoon|
|Hot spices (garam masala)||1 tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Mustard oil (sarso ka tel)||6 table spoons|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||2 tablespoons|
- 1. Peel the green peas and take out the seeds.
- 2. Peel and chop potatoes into small cubes.
- 3. Grind onion, garlic, green chillies and coriander leaves into a smooth paste.
- 4. Then take half of the peas and grind it into rough paste and keep it aside.
- 5. In a wok, heat oil and fry the potatoes till they turn golden brown. Keep them aside.
- 6. In remaining oil put asafoetida and peas with half tea spoon of sugar (it increases taste and intact green colour of peas), fry till completely dry, keep a side.
- 7. In the remaining oil put bay leaf and pour the prepared paste and let it cook till oil gets separated.
- 8. Again put 2 table spoons oil in wok, add fenugreek seed, bay leaves and then prepared paste of spices and fry for a while.
- 9. Then add chopped tomato, turmeric, hot spices and fry little.
- 10. Now add ground peas and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- 11. Then put cooked peas, potatoes and salt.
- 12. Keep frying on low heat until a nice aroma comes out.
- 13. Add 2 cups of water and cover it with a lid and let it cook on low flame.
- 14. Once peas and potatoes are almost done put the flame off.
- 15. Heat ghee in a pan and pour it over the nimona. Serve hot with rice.