This is the better half of Litti, the popular Bihari dish. Combined these two channel awesome flavours together and complete the Litti Chokha recipe. Chokha is a melange of vegetables consisting of roasted and mashed eggplant (baingan), tomato (tamatar), and potato (aloo). This mixed vegetables recipe is very easy to prepare, and does not require a lot of time to cook. The smokiness of brinjal adds a nice touch of flavour to the dish, along with the roast tomatoes. The brinjal is slit along a side and kept inside the grill for a few minutes. For a traditional flavour pierce some garlic and green chillies in brinjals before roasting. It should be regularly flipped to ensure that both sides attain the smoky texture. The charred skin turns black and can be easily separated afterwards. This pulp is then combined with the boiled and mashed potatoes, and seasoned generously with spices. These spices can be added according to taste. This vegetable concoction beautifully brings out and enhances the flavour of the Chokha balls. The recipe for Chokha has also been given on my website. This Bihari masterpiece, with its rustic and authentic flavours will leave you absolutely mesmerized.
Our other authentic Bihari recipes are Papda ki Sabzi, Rickwach, Jhuri, Kaddu Dal.
How to make Chokha
|Brinjal (baigan)||2 big|
|Boiled potatoes (ubla aalo)||1 big|
|Garlic (lahsan) cloves||5-6|
|Green chilli (hari mirch)||5-6|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)||finely chopped|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Mustard oil (sarso ka tel)||1 table spoon|
- 1. Slit the brinjal along one side. Pierce some garlic and green chillies in brinjals.
- 2. Roast the slit brinjal and tomatoes on gas for about 15 minutes or till they become soft.
- 3. Keep turning the brinjal and tomatoes over periodically to ensure that they are evenly cooked.
- 4. Once done, take out from the grill.
- 5. Remove the charred skin and put the cooked pulp in a bowl.
- 6. Now add boiled mashed potatoes, green coriander, salt and mustard oil and mix well.
- 7. Chokha is ready.
- Recipe Type : Bihar, Regional, Vegetarian
No comments yet.