Pabda catfish is one of my personal favourites. It has a soft texture and is replete with nutritious oils and proteins. It is always my go-to ingredient whenever I am in a hurry; it cooks very quickly. In this Masala Pabda recipe, the fish is marinated and served in rich and flavoursome gravy consisting of mustard seeds (sarson). The game changer in this recipe is cashewnuts (kaju). Ground cashewnut paste is added to the gravy which gives it a smooth texture, and makes the otherwise ordinary dish extraordinary. One thing to be kept in mind is, as I have mentioned before- Pabda fish are very delicate, and hence should be handled with care. The fish is marinated in an assorted spice mixture, along with mustard oil (sarson ka tel). These spices can be added according to taste. The gravy also doubles up as the marinade. The fish should be marinated nicely and allowed to rest for some time to exploit its juiciness and best flavours. It is then cooked in the mixture on low flame and cooks in no time. Masala Pabda is sprinkled with chopped coriander (dhaniya) leaves and served hot with boiled rice. Enjoy this cracker of a recipe as the bold flavours cause an explosion in your mouth.
You may also like other recipes of Pabda fish Pabda Macher Jhal, Pabda Macher Jhol.
How to make Masala Pabda
|Pabda fish||8 pieces|
|Mustard seeds (sarso) paste||2 table spoon|
|Cashew paste (kaju)||½ tea spoon|
|Onion (payaz) paste||1 tea spoon|
|Ginger garlic (adrakh lahsan) paste||½ tea spoon|
|Turmeric powder (haldi)||1 tea spoon|
|Red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)||1 tea spoon|
|Tomato (tamater) sliced||1 medium|
|Whole green chilli (sabut hari mirch)||3-4|
|Hot spices (garam masala) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Fresh coriander (hara dhaniya)||½ cup|
|Mustard oil (sarso tel)||5 table spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
- 1. Pabda fish are soft fish and need a very little time to cook and need gentle handling.
- 2. Clean the fish and rub the fish with ½ tea spoon of salt and turmeric powder.
- 3. Now take bowl add mustard paste, cashew paste, onion paste, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and 4 table spoon of mustard oil.
- 4. Marinate the fish in this mixture and keep aside for 1 hour.
- 5. Now heat 1 table spoon of oil in a heavy bottom pan. Now add this marinated fish with sliced tomatoes and green chilli. Cover this and cook it for 10 minutes on low flame.
- 6. Add chopped coriander on the top and cook it for 5 minutes.
- 7. Make the flame high and immediately sprinkle hot spices powder and serve this with hot steamed rice.
- Recipe Type : Bengal, Curries, Fish, Non vegetarian, Non Vegetarian, Regional
No comments yet.