Pabda Macher Jhol Recipe (Pabda Fish Curry)
Bengalis are fish-loving folks, and fish recipes originating from this state are plenty and delicious. Perhaps the most popular fish recipe is Macher Jhol. Any type of fish can be used to prepare this, but I have used Pabda catfish here. Pabda fish is small in size having thin bones, and it is easily available in the market. Pabda Macher Jhol’s brilliant flavours can be attributed to the tomatoes (tamatar) present in the stew, and also the wonderful Pabda. I have not used any vegetables here, so the fish is the hero of the dish. It is seasoned with a little bit of turmeric powder (haldi), which gives a nice yellow colour. The stew is prepared using various spices, so the dish has a piquant flavour. But all of these spices can be added according to taste. Like in many Bengali recipes, the Pabda fish is deep-fried in mustard oil (sarson ka tel). This makes the fish crispy and gives it that signature pungent flavour of mustard. Finally, the dish is garnished with fresh coriander leaves (dhaniya). Pabda Maachher Jhol is the perfect foil for boiled rice, with both having contrasting yet complementing tastes.
How to make Pabda Macher Jhol Recipe (Pabda Fish Curry)
|Whole pabda fish||6|
|Salt||as per taste|
|Turmeric powder (haldi)||½ tea spoon|
|Red chilli (lal mirch) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Tomato (tamater) , chopped||1 big|
|Ginger paste (adrakh)||1 table spoon|
|Onion seeds (kala jeera)||½ tea spoon|
|Cumin (jeera) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Whole red chili (sabut lal mirch)||1|
|Mustard oil (sarso tel)||4 table spoons|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya) chopped||¼ cups|
- 1. Make paste of ginger and red chilli powder with little water.
- 2. Coat the fish with little salt and turmeric powder.
- 3. Heat oil in a pan. Fry the fish lightly and set aside.
- 4. Add dry red chilli and onion seeds in the hot oil. Add chopped tomato and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- 5. Add cumin powder, ginger paste, red chilli powder and little turmeric powder.
- 6. Stir for 3-4 minutes and then add salt and water.
- 7. When it comes to boil, add fried fishes and reduce the flame. Allow it to cook for 5-6 minutes, add salt to taste.
- 8. Finish this with green coriander leaves and serve this with boiled rice.