|Rohu or katla fish cut in pieces||500 gm|
|Potato (aalo)cut into quarters||2 medium|
|Onion (payaz) paste||2 medium|
|Ginger-garlic (adrakh lahsan ) paste||1 tea spoon|
|Tomato (tamater) paste||1 large|
|Turmeric powder (Haldi)||½ tea spoon|
|Chilli powder (lal mirch)||1/2 tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||according to taste|
|Sugar (Chini)||1 tea spoon|
|Cinnamon stick (Dalchini)||1”|
|Green cardamom (Hari elaichi)||2|
|Hot spices (garam masala) powder||¼ tea spoon|
|Bay leaf (tej patta)||2|
|Dry red chilli (sabut lal mirch)||1|
|Mustard oil (sarso tel)||6-7 table spoon|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||1 tea spoon|
- 1. Clean & wash fish. Marinate with salt and turmeric powder. Wash and peel potatoes and cut them in quarters. Marinate potato pieces also with salt and turmeric.
- 2. Heat mustard oil in a pan. Fry fish pieces to nicely golden. Take out from oil and keep aside. Now fry potato quarters to golden. Take out from oil and keep separately.
- 3. Heat mustard oil in a pan. Fry fish pieces to nicely golden. Take out from oil and keep aside. Now fry potato quarters to golden. Take out from oil and keep separately.
- 4. Now add turmeric powder, chilli powder and sugar and cook until water evaporates.
- 5. Now add tomato paste and cook till oil is separated.
- 6. Add potato and salt. Mix well. Cook covered for few minutes over low heat. Add 1 and half cups water. Bring to boil. Cook covered for 4-5 minutes over low heat or until potato pieces are cooked properly. Now add fish and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- 7. Turn off heat and add ghee & hot spices powder. Cover with a lid & it few minutes standing time before serving.
- 8. "Fish Kalia" is ready and serve this with steaming hot plain rice.