Kumro Bonthi Recipe
Kumro Bonthi is a rustic shrimp (chingri) dish originating from Bengal. Red pumpkin (kaddu) in Bengali translates into Kumro, which is also one of the major stars of the dish. It has a mildly sweet flavour and is considered to have numerous health benefits. This wonderful combination of prawns and red pumpkin is bettered by inviting spice seasoning and onion (pyaaz) and garlic (lahsan) to the party. The deveined prawns are fried in the classic Bengali ingredient, mustard oil (sarson ka tel). Keep in mind that prawns are tender and cook very quickly, so only cook them until they have slightly browned. These are then cooked with chopped pumpkin along with some spices. These spices can be added according to taste. The sweet flavour of pumpkin is appropriately balanced by the hot flavour of the spices. Water should be added while cooking to add more flavour and to increase the cooking speed. Kumro Bonthi complements boiled rice perfectly. It can also be used as stuffing for kathi rolls. So go ahead and don’t hesitate to add this brilliant prawn recipe to your treasure chest.
You may also like Bengali recipes Sukto, Mochar Ghonto, Chorchori, Aloo Posto
How to make Kumro Bonthi
|Fresh Shrimps (chingri)||200 gram|
|Red Pumpkin (kaddu), chopped||1 kg|
|Green chillies (hari mirch), chopped||2 table spoons|
|Garlic (lasan), cloves||5-7|
|Onion (payaz), chopped||1 cup|
|Turmeric (haldi)||½ tea spoon|
|Red chili powder (lal mirch)||½ tea spoon|
|Mustard oil (sarso tel)||5-6 tea spoons|
- 1. Heat oil in a large pan.
- 2. Fry chopped onion and garlic till brown.
- 3. Add turmeric and red chili powder.
- 4. Now add shrimps and cook stirring until they are slightly brown.
- 5. Now add the chopped pumpkins and cook it covered on low flame.
- 6. Once water gets dried add salt and slit green chilies.
- 7. Stir it well so that it gets mixed properly.
- 8. Serve this with boiled rice.
- Recipe Type : Bengal, Non Vegetarian, Regional
I dugg some of you post as I thought they were very beneficial handy