Dal Makhani Recipe
Few Indian foods that never go out of trend and that always make you salivate by just hearing its name. One of such food is Dal Makhani, which is a delicacy of Punjab. Although, it may originate from Punjab but its popularity is not less in other part of North Indian. It can be found in any North Indian restaurant as their delicacy.
Dal is a speciality of Punjab, and is most important dish in their food. Like any other Punjabi food it has its own traditional way of preparation. Dal Makhani is prepared with whole black gram (urad dal) and Rajma beans. They are cooked slow fire, often simmered for hours till they turn creamy and then flavoured with spices and rounded off with cream for a rich finish. Slow fire cooking is the secret for this mouth watering recipe. Light blend of spices gives yummy flavour to the recipe. A good amount of butter is used in this recipe to give authentic and traditional taste to the recipe.
Tandoori Roti, Nan, Lehsuni nan are the best combination of dal makhani.
How to make Dal Makhani Recipe
|Black gram whole (urad sabut)||1 cup|
|Red kidney beans (rajma)||3 table spoon|
|Onion (payaz) finely chopped||1 cup|
|Garlic (lahsan) finely chopped||1 tea spoon|
|Ginger (adrakh) finely chopped||1 tea spoon|
|Green chilies (hari mirch) finely chopped||2 tea spoon|
|Tomato (tamater) grated||¾ cup|
|Dried Fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)||1 table spoon|
|Hot spices (Garam masala) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Red chili (lal mirch) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Coriander (dhania) powder||1 tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Oil||2 tea spoon|
|Butter (makhan)||4-5 table spoon|
|Cumin seeds (jeera)||½ tea spoon|
|Cream (malai)||3 table spoon|
|Curd (dahi)||1 tea spoon|
|Chopped coriander leaves||2 tea spoon|
|Fresh Stirred cream (malai)||½ cup|
- 1. Soak Kidney Beans (rajma) and whole Black Gram (urad sabut) overnight.
- 2. Once soaked properly add 3 cups of water & little salt and pressure-cook the lentils till soft for about 20-25 minutes.
- 3. Mean while, blend cream and curd in a bowl and keep aside.
- 4. Once lentils are boiled, add curd- cream mixture and again let boil it for 45-50 minutes. (This is a very important step to get authentic taste in “Dal makhni”).
- 5. Now heat oil in a heavy bottom iron pan, splutter cumin seeds and add garlic ginger paste, stir it for 30 seconds and add onions and fry till it becomes golden brown.
- 6. Now add green chilies and tomatoes and fry till tomatoes soften.
- 7. Now add chili powder, coriander powder & salt and cook it for a moment.
- 8. Add butter and dried Fenugreek leaves and stir it for 5-7 minutes.
- 9. Add dal and let it simmer on medium flame for 10 minutes.
- 10. Sprinkle hot spices powder and put the flame off.
- 11. Garnish “Dal makhni” with coriander leaves and add cream.
- 12. Serve “Dal makhni” hot with Laccha Paratha or naan.
- For making authentic "Dal Makhni", cook it on very low flame for 3-4 hours. and for best result you can use coal flame.