Amritsari Dal Recipe
Serving free food at langars (common kitchen) in gurudwaras, which is the place for worship of Sikhs, is a long-held and common Sikh tradition in India. It is a very noble and thoughtful practice. The food served at these langars is quite tasty, and has a certain feel-good factor. Amritsari Dal is a delicacy that is often served in langars. Also popularly known as Langarwali Dal, it is prepared by combining two kinds of lentils- whole black gram (urad dal) and husked Bengal gram (chana dal). It is kept simple, and minimal amount of spices are added in it. This gives a chance for the authentic rustic flavour of the dish to shine through. Traditionally, these lentils are cooked and slowly simmered in a pot. But here, I have used a pressure cooker to speed up the process. Sautéed tomatoes (tamatar) and onions (pyaaz) also add a nice flavour to the dal. The dal is allowed to simmer for a while on medium flame. It is important to achieve the correct consistency of the dal; it should be thick. Amritsari Dal Recipe can be garnished with coriander leaves (dhaniya) and some cubes of butter (makhhan) to give the signature Punjabi hallmark. It tastes even better the next day. This understated yet classic dish will definitely leave you floored.
You may also like the recipes of Dal Fry, Dal Nawabi, Dal Makhani, Sabut Masoor Dal
How to make Amritsari Dal
|Whole black gram (urad dal)||1 cup|
|Chana dal (husked bengal gram)||6 table spoon|
|Green chillies (hari mirch)||1 tea spoon|
|Onion (payaz) finely chopped||4- 5 table spoon|
|Tomato (tamater) finely chopped||3-4 table spoon|
|Finely chopped ginger (adrak)||1 table spoon|
|Finely chopped garlic (lahsun)||1 table spoon|
|Red chili powder (lal mirch powder)||1/2 tea spoon|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||2 table spoon|
|Cumin (jeera) seeds ½ tea spoon||1/2 tea spoon|
|Salt as required||as required|
|Mint or coriander leaves, chopped||2 table spoon|
|Butter cut in cube||2- 3 pieces|
- 1. Rinse and soak the lentils in enough water for 4-5 hours.
- 2. Drain and take lentils in a pressure cooker, add water and 1 table spoon of chopped ginger and garlic.
- 3. Pressure cook till the lentils are cooked and soft.
- 4. Heat clarified butter in a pan add cumin seeds till it splutters.
- 5. Add the chopped onions and sauté this till light brown.
- 6. Then add the remaining chopped ginger and garlic, along with the chillies and cook it for 1 minute.
- 7. Now add the tomatoes and red chilli and sauté till the oil starts to separate.
- 8. Pour this mixture along with the oil into the cooked lentils.
- 9. Stir and add salt and simmer this for 4-5 minutes or more till the "Amritsari dal" thickens.
- 10. Serve Amritsari dal garnished with mint or coriander leaves and topped with some butter.
- Recipe Type : Dal and Kadhi, Punjab, Regional, Vegetarian, Vegetarian
Comments are closed.