For the Gatte
|Gram flour (besan)||1 ½ cup|
|Red chilli powder (lal mirch)||1 tea spoon|
|Turmeric (haldi)||¼ tea spoon|
|Yogurt (dahi)||3 table spoon|
|Oil||3 table spoon|
For the kadhi
|Yogurt (dahi)||1.5 cup|
|Gram flour (besan)||5 table spoon|
|Turmeric powder (haldi)||¼ tea spoon|
|Red chilli (lal mirch) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Coriander powder (dhania)||1 tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||2 table spoon|
|Cumin seeds (jeera)||1 tea spoon|
|Mustard seeds (rai)||½ tea spoon|
|Coriander seeds (Dhaniya)||½ teaspoon|
|Whole red chillies (sabut lal mirch)||4|
|Bay leaf (tejpat)||1|
|Kashmiri red chilli (dagi mirch)||½ tea spoon|
- 1. Mix baking powder in gram flour and now add yogurt, chilli powder, turmeric, salt and oil in a mixing bowl and make a soft dough, adding a little water if needed.
- 2. Divide the dough into four parts. Roll each one between your palms into a long, smooth log.
- 3. Bring three cups of water to a boil in a pot. Gently drop the gatta logs into the boiling water and cook four to five minutes, or until they begin to float up to the surface.
- 4. Remove the cooked logs from the water and let them cool.
- 5. Slice the logs into small pieces. Gatta is ready and set aside.
- 1. Mix yogurt and gram flour into a smooth paste. Add turmeric, chilli powder, Kashmiri red chilli and coriander powder to this paste.
- 2. Pour the ghee into a saucepan over medium heat. Add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida and cook it for 30 seconds.
- 3. When seeds crack add the whole red chillies and bay leaf. Stir for a few seconds.
- 4. Pour in the yogurt- gram flour paste and stir for two minutes. Add three cups of water and stir until the gravy comes to a boil. Add salt to taste.
- 5. Add gatta to the kadhi. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- 6. Add coriander leaves and serve this hot.