|Pigeon peas (Toor Dal)||1 cup|
|Vegetable (Green beans, carrot, drum stick etc)||1 cup|
|Onion (payaz), sliced||½ cup|
|Tomato (tamater), sliced||½ cup|
|Tamarind (imli) pulp||3 table spoon|
|Turmeric (haldi) Powder||½ tea spoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 table spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Dry red chilies (sabut lal mirch)||2 piece|
|Mustard (sarso) seeds||½ tea spoon|
|Asafetida (hing)||a pinch|
|Sambar powder||2 table spoon|
- 1. Choose a heavy cooking pot. Wash and clean the pigeon peas (dal).
- 2. Boil 2 cups of water and add the pigeon peas (dal), turmeric powder and salt.
- 3. As the dal boils, add onion, tomato and cook it for 10 minutes.
- 4. Now add vegetables and boil till it becomes soft.
- 5. Boil until the dal is soft and then mash it coarsely.
- 6. If needed, add more water as it is boiling but do not let it get too watery. Add sambar masala, tamarind and boil. Adjust salt and put the flame off.
- 7. Put 1 table spoon of oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, asafetida, curry leaves and red chilli. Fry for 2 minutes and put this into dal and serve it with Dosa or Idly.