Kadhi Bari (Bihari)
Almost every state in India has its own version of the popular dish kadhi. In some regions, it is prepared to have a thick consistency, while in others it has a thin, runny consistency. Some prefer having it chilled, while others love to serve it hot with pakodas (baris) dipped in it. The Bihari version of this yellow-mellow dish is known as Kadhi Badi, and it is considered inauspicious to serve kadhi without the baris there. It also enjoys special popularity in Bihar as it is one of the dishes used to break the fast during festivals. It consists of small, fried dumplings immersed in a thick, curd (dahi) – based gravy. For the Bari, gram flour (besan) has been used to prepare the batter. They are then deep-fried and subsequently dipped in some water and then is dipped in kadhi.
For the Kadhi, gram flour is again invited to the part along with beaten curd and a variety of hot spices, all of which can be added according to taste. The yellow mixture is simmered on a low flame, and allowed to cook until it starts boiling. Add the baris to the kadhi and voila, you are ready to go! This flavoursome and crunchy Kadhi Bari will awaken the foodie hiding inside you.
How to make Kadhi Bari (Bihari)
|Gram flour (besan)||1 cup|
|Turmeric powder (haldi)||¼ tea spoon|
|Carom seeds (ajwain)||¼ tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Mustard oil (sarso ka tel)||for frying|
|Gram flour (besan)||4-5 table spoons|
|Beaten curd(dahi)||1 cup|
|Turmeric powder (haldi)||½ tea spoon|
|Cumin seeds (jeera)||1tea spoon|
|Whole dry red chilly (sabut lal mirch)||2-3|
|Fenugreek seeds(methi)||½ tea spoon|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||2-3 table spoons|
|Carom seed (ajwaeen)||1/3 tea spoon|
|Mustard seed (sarso)||¼ tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
- 1. Mix little water in 1 cup of gram flour to make thick batter and add little bit salt, turmeric powder, carom seeds and mix them well.
- 2. Now keep them aside for 10 minutes.
- 3. Heat oil in a pan and drop a little of batter at a time and deep fry to make Badi.
- 4. Take water in a bowl and dip the “baris” for 2 minutes and then remove them immediately.
- 1. In a big bowl mix beaten curd, 1/2 cup of gram flour, dilute with 1 litre of water to make kadhi.
- 2. Heat 1 table spoon of oil in a big pan and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, carom seeds and broken dry chillies.
- 3. When it starts crackle, add asafoetida and turmeric powder and add the kadhi mixture.
- 4. Stir kadhi and let it cook on low flame.
- 5. When starts boiling add bari and salt and let it cook for 5-7 minutes.
- 6. Put your flame off and serve hot with rice.