Prawn Rissole is an authentic Portuguese dish, which has become an important part of Goan food culture. Pronounced as Rissoee, these snacks are in the form of breaded pastry, stuffed with fish or shrimp in Béchamel sauce, followed by deep-frying. They are very crunchy and are shaped like the half moon. In this recipe, prawns have been used for the filling, but any other meat or vegetables can also be used in place of prawns.
First of all, the Béchamel sauce is prepared. It is a white sauce made with butter (makkhan), flour (maida) and milk (doodh). It is cooked under gentle heat, while stirring simultaneously. Care must be taken not to brown the mixture. The sauce is cooked until thickened and smooth. The prawns are cleaned properly and boiled, till they become tender and succulent. Sautéed onions (pyaaz) and some spices are also added to the sauce, along with grated Cheddar cheese. These spices can be added according to taste. This thick mixture forms the filling.
For the rissole dough, all-purpose flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs have been combined with butter. The dough should be smooth and easy to work with. It is cut into thin circles, with the prawn filling placed in the centre. The ends of the rissole are sealed with the help of water. These patties are dipped in raw beaten egg mixture, which helps the bread crumbs to stick onto it. They are then deep-fried in oil until they turn golden-brown. These mouth-melting prawn rissoles can be served as appetizers in parties.
How to make Prawn Rissole
Ingredients for Stuffing
|Onion (payaz), chopped||5 table spoons|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Black Pepper (kali mirch)||1 tea spoon|
|Cheddar Cheese grated||1 table spoon|
|Nutmeg (jaiphal)||⅛ tea spoon|
|Butter (makhkhan)||1 tea spoon|
|Milk (doodh)||½ cup|
|All purpose flour (maida)||3 tea spoons.|
Ingredients for Dough
|All purpose flour||1 cup|
|Butter||1 tea spoon|
- 1. Make a white sauce using the butter, flour & milk.
- 2. Add the milk and butter on the fire, when warm add the all purpose flour slowly and stir continuously.
- 3. Clean and boil the prawns and cut them into fine pieces and keep aside. (Cook till all water has been absorbed).
- 4. Heat the oil in medium heat and sauté the onion till they become golden in colour.
- 5. Add the salt, pepper and the dash of grated nutmeg to the white sauce.
- 6. Then add the prawns and cheese and stir fry it for a minute.
- 7. Now put the flame off and keep this aside.
- 1. Pour the water into the vessel and heat it up, bring the water, salt and butter to a boil.
- 2. Then add the flour to the water.
- 3. Keep stirring till it all mixes well.
- 4. Remove on flat surface and knead into smooth dough.
- 5. Roll out the dough and cut into circles.
- 6. Now place the filling in the centre.
- 7. Fold the rissole and fix the end with water.
- 8. Dip each of these patties in beaten egg.
- 9. Now roll it on bread crumbs.
- 10. Heat oil in a pan and fry them until golden brown.
- 11. Serve them hot.