Chicken Cutlet Recipe
Chicken or Foul Cutlet is a famous street-food snack, originating from West Bengal. It enjoys unprecedented popularity during Durga Pooja, an annual 10 day festival celebrating the worship of Hindu divine goddess Durga. During these festivities, Bengali people get to showcase various aspects of their local food and culture, by setting up various food stalls in pandals. There are a wide variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian choices to choose from, but Chicken Cutlet stands out amongst the rest. In this recipe, boneless chicken pieces are cooked well, dipped into a beaten egg white mixture (ande ki safedi), rolled in bread crumbs, and followed by deep-frying. I have also taken the liberty to add mashed potatoes (aloo), chopped coriander leaves (dhaniya) along with hot aromatic spices as filling, besides chicken. These spices have a piquant flavour and can be added according to taste. It should be kept in mind that cornflour should be added to the breadcrumbs, as it has a binding quality and acts as a thickening agent. This helps us to obtain tight dough. The cutlets are coated with a thin layer of all-purpose flour (maida) before dipping in the egg mixture. Deep-frying should be carried out on a medium-high flame. A high flame will make the oil excessively hot, which can burn the cutlets. Perfectly cooked cutlets are golden brown in colour and exude crispiness. Chicken Cutlets sprinkled with some lemon juice (nimboo ka ras) and garnished with chopped onions (pyaaz) taste excellent when served with sauce.
How to make chicken Cutlet
|Boneless chicken||500 gram|
|Onion (payaz) chopped finely||5 table spoon|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya), finely chopped||4 table spoon|
|Mint leaves (pudina), finely chopped||2 tea spoon|
|Green chillies (hari mirch), chopped||1 tea spoon|
|Garlic (lahsan) paste||1 table spoon|
|Ginger (adrakh) paste||1 table spoon|
|Coriander (dhaniya) powder||1 tea spoon|
|Cumin (jeera) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Hot spices (garam masala)||1 tea spoon|
|Corn flour||3-4 table spoon|
|Bread crumbs||½ cup|
|All purpose flour||½ cup|
|Vegetable oil||for frying|
- 1. Clean and cook boneless chicken pieces. Then drain the cooked chicken pieces and allow it to cool.
- 2. Once cooled add chicken pieces into a blender jar and grind it roughly.
- 3. Now in a bowl, take chicken, mashed potato, finely chopped onions, mint, garlic, ginger, coriander leaves, coriander powder, cumin powder, hot spices, salt and mix everything well.
- 4. Then add corn flour and breadcrumbs and mix well to tight dough.
- 5. Now divide the dough into 8-10 small balls and make small patties out of it.
- 6. In another bowl whisk eggs with little salt. In another dish take all purpose flour. In a third dish, take breadcrumbs.
- 7. In a large heavy deep pan, heat oil over medium heat. Now coat cutlet in flour, shaking off excess, and then dip into egg (letting excess drip off). Now roll it in breadcrumbs, turning twice and patting to adhere.
- 8. Increase heat to medium-high and fry the cutlets. Fry few cutlets at a time taking care not to crowd them in the pan. Watch carefully and turn as each side gets golden.
- 9. The cutlets are done when they are crispy and golden on both sides. Drain it on paper towels and serve hot with sauce.