Egg Cutlet Recipe
Egg cutlet or ‘Dimer Devil’ as it is popularly known, is the Bengali version of deviled eggs. It is a famous street food of Kolkata. These oval-shaped balls are prepared with half hard-boiled eggs wrapped in a soft potato mixture, dipped in a bread crumb batter and then subsequently deep-fried in oil. The name Dimer Devil is related to the term devil in cooking, which refers to the fiery and spicy flavour of the dish, due to its hot seasoning.
In this recipe, I have used four hard-boiled eggs (anda) and halved them. The cooked and mashed potatoes (aaloo) should be soft and tender. Hot spice (garam masala) powder is the secret ingredient used for egg cutlet. Along with it, finely chopped onions (pyaaz) and other spices are also added to the mashed potato mixture. These can be added according to taste. The potato mixture is used to coat the halved eggs, by pressing gently around them. These coated eggs are then dipped in a raw beaten egg mixture. This acts as the binding agent and helps the bread crumbs to stick around the eggs. These are refrigerated for a while and deep-fried in a hot pan, until they turn golden-brown. The excess oil can be removed by soaking with kitchen tissues. They taste scrumptious with tomato ketchup. So the next time someone serves Dimer Devil, unleash the devil within you.
How to make Egg Cutlet
|Egg (anda), hard boil||4|
|Potatoes (aalo), boiled||3 medium|
|Onion (payaz), finely chopped||2 table spoons|
|Green chilli (hari mirch) chopped||2 tea spoons|
|Coriander (dhaniya) powder||½ tea spoon|
|Hot spices (garam masala) powder||½tea spoon|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)||2 table spoons|
|Egg (anda) beaten||1|
|Bread crumb||1 cup|
|Oil||for deep frying|
|Salt||As per taste|
- 1. Boil egg. Remove outer shell and cut into halves. Keep them aside.
- 2. Peel and boil the potatoes until cook well and mash it properly.
- 3. Add onion, chilli, coriander powder, hot spices powder, coriander leaves and salt to the mashed potato. Mix them well.
- 4. Take small portion of mashed potato and put the half piece of egg inside it and cover this completely with potato. It gets egg like shape.
- 5. Make the rest of the cutlet with the remaining egg pieces.
- 6. Dip the cutlet in beaten egg and roll over evenly in bread crumb. Keep it fridge for 15 minutes.
- 7. Heat oil in a pan. Fry till it turns golden brown. Turn over as needed.
- 8. Remove from the pan and place it on a kitchen tissue to soak extra oil.
- 9. Serve this hot with sauce.