|Basmati rice (basmati chawal)||2 cups|
|Onions (payaz) ,Chopped||2 medium|
|Onion (payaz) slice||4 medium|
|Garlic ginger paste||2 table spoon|
|Fresh mint (pudina), chopped||5-6 table spoon|
|Green Chilies (hari mirch), chopped||2-3 pieces|
|Tomatoes (tamater), chopped||½ cup|
|Fresh coriander leaves (hara dhaniya), chopped||½ cup|
|Curd (dahi)||1/2 cup|
|Milk (doodh)||½ cup|
|Refined Oil||for deep frying|
|Saffron (kesar)||few strands|
|Clarified butter (ghee )||6-7 table spoon|
|Cashew nuts (kaju)||8-10 pieces|
Spices to grind
|Cloves (laung)||4-5 Pieces|
|Cinnamon stick (dalchini)||1”|
|Brown Cardamoms (badi elaichi)||2|
|Bay leaves (tej patta)||2|
|Caraway seeds (shahi jeera)||½ tea spoon|
|Nutmeg (jaiphal)||¼ tea spoon|
|Mace (javitri)||¼ tea spoon|
|Coriander seeds (dhaniya)||1 tea spoon|
|Whole red Chili (sabut lal mirch)||3-4 Pieces|
- 1. Soak saffron in milk and keep aside.
- 2. Take cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves, caraway seeds, nutmeg, mace coriander seeds and whole red chilli in a grinder jar and grind it well. And keep this aside.
- 3. Heat clarified butter in a pan, fry the cashew nuts till golden brown and keep them aside.
- 4. Slice onions in very thin. Now heat oil and deep fry these sliced onions in batches on medium flame. Stir the onion continuously for uniform browning. When they become light brown, drain them on kitchen paper. Keep them aside. They will become nice crispy as they cool down.
- 1. Clean and wash chicken and keep aside.
- 2. Take oil in a pan. Add chopped onion, garlic ginger paste, and cook this well.
- 3. Add one table spoon of prepared spices powder and salt and cook it for some times. Put the flame off and add this mixture with curd.
- 4. Mix this prepared mixture with chicken and let it marinate for 4- 6 hours in refrigerator,
- 5. Heat oil in another deep pan. Add ginger garlic paste and stir a little.
- 6. Now add marinated chicken with marinade. Cook it till the water gets evaporated.
- 7. Add chopped tomatoes, green chillies, chopped mint leaves and cook it well.
- 8. Now add the prepared spices powder, adjust salt and cook it till chicken is cooked completely. Now put the flame off.
Preparation of Rice
- 1. Take a big deep wide mouth vessel, add water and salt. Take cinnamon stick, a couple of green cardamoms, a few cloves and the rest of caraway seeds in a small cloth and tie the cloth tightly and put it in boiling water for flavoring and add rice.
- 2. Now boil all this for a few minutes on a high flame and let the rice parboil and the put the flame off.
- 3. Now remove the spices which has been tied in cloth from the rice and let the rice cool for sometimes.
Layering of Biryani
- 1. Take a heavy bottom pan with a lid.
- 2. Take some melted ghee and grease the bottom of the pan with it.
- 3. Then, Put a layer of rice,
- 4. Then add a layer of chicken followed by a layer of fried onions then a layer of chopped coriander.
- 5. Repeat the process with repeat of the chicken, fried onion and rice, and finish off with the rice layer. Lastly, sprinkle the leftover fried onions, cashews nuts.
- 6. Pour the saffron milk on top. Also pour some clarified butter on the top of the rice. Seal the lid by sticking it with some chapati dough.
- 7. Place this pot on a very slow flame. Ideally place this vessel on top of another flat pan or tawa, so that the bottom of the pan doesn't come in direct contact with the heat source.
- 8. Leave it for one hour and when you open it your magical aromatic biryani is ready.