Last Sunday, I had gone to attend a reunion with my school classmates. We tried to keep the party low-key and simple, instead of making it fancy. So we all chose to go for a picnic, where everyone would bring some home-cooked dish along with them. I had prepared Egg Korma. It is a dish originating from Bangladesh and is very popular in West Bengal. In this, the fried hard-boiled eggs are cooked in a delicious, creamy sauce redolent with aromatic spices. Nailing the gravy is important to obtain perfect Egg Korma. I have chosen to use both coconut milk (nariyal ka doodh) and coconut (nariyal) powder from my arsenal of secret ingredients. Coconut milk and cashew nuts (kaju) used in this recipe give a smooth and satiny texture to the gravy. Overall, the dish has a rich yet mildly sweet flavour courtesy of sugar (cheeni) and other aromatic spices. These spices can be added according to taste. Some vegetables like potato (aaloo) or cottage cheese (paneer) can also be added to make the dish more wholesome. The egg mixture should slowly simmer, with addition of sugar in the end. Egg Korma and chapatti make for an awesome duo. My friends loved the dish so much that there was none left for me by the time I went to refill my plate.
How to make Egg Korma
|Egg (anda)||8 pieces (hard boiled)|
|Onion (payaz), chopped||1 medium|
|Onion paste (payaz), paste||2 table spoon|
|Garlic (lahsan) paste||½ tea spoon|
|Ginger (adrakh) paste||½ tea spoon|
|Green chilli (hari mirch), chopped||3-4 tea spoon|
|Green Cardamom (chhoti elaichi)||3 pieces|
|Cinnamon (dalchini) sticks||1” pieces|
|Coconut Milk (nariyel ka doodh)||½ cup|
|Cashew nut ( kaju)||7-8 pieces|
|Fennel (saunf)||½ tea spoon|
|Coconut (nariyel) powder||4 table spoon|
|Sugar (chini)||1 tea spoon|
|Oil||6 table spoon|
- 1. Boil eggs, peel them and keep aside.
- 2. Take cashew nut, coconut, fennel seeds in a blender jar and grind it well.
- 3. In another bowl mix onion paste, garlic and ginger paste and keep aside.
- 4. Heat 2 table spoon oil in a deep pan. Add hard boiled eggs and fry a little. Remove egg from the pan and set aside.
- 5. In same pan add little more oil (if required) and add cinnamon and cardamom and stir for a while.
- 6. Add chopped onion and fry until little brown.
- 7. Add onion paste mixture and stir for few seconds. Now add green chilli, and salt and stir them.
- 8. Now slowly cashew nut paste mixture and stir the curry continuously. Add little water and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- 9. Add coconut milk and bring it to boil. Add egg and cover the pan with a lid and cook for few minutes on low heat.
- 10. Add sugar and further cook it for 4-5 minutes. Put the flame off and serve it with chapatti.