Irachi Pathiri is fried bread stuffed with spicy mutton, then dipped in an egg-milk mixture and deep-fried. It is a special dish from the Northern Malabar region in Kerala. Shredded mutton is cooked with different spices and a hot spicy filling is prepared. Filling should be topped with fresh coriander leaves and allowed to cool completely.
For the pastry dough, all-purpose flour and wheat flour are used. The dough should be soft, and it should be easy to work with. After rolling out the dough, the filling should be placed on one of the pathiris, and then topped with another pathiri to seal it completely. The edges need to be sealed properly; otherwise oil can go inside making the pathiri very oily. Make sure that you do not end up overstuffing the pathiris, otherwise they will break while frying. After this, the pathiris are dunked into an egg (anda) mixture, and fried in hot oil. This rich meat-filled pastry is especially cooked during Ramadan and Eid. Irachi Pathiri is sure to leave a lot of mouths watering and asking for more.
How to make Irachi Pathiri
For Irachi Pathiri Recipe
|All purpose flour (maida)||1 ½ cup|
|Wheat flour (atta)||½ cup|
|Salt (namak)||To taste|
|Oil||1 to 2 table spoons|
|To make dough||Lukewarm water|
|Mutton, minced||250 grams|
|Salt (namak)||To taste|
|Vegetable oil||2 table spoons|
|Onion (payaz),||chopped 2 cups|
|Ginger (adrakh), chopped||1 tea spoon|
|Garlic (lahsan), chopped||1 table spoon|
|Garlic (lahsan), cloves||4-5|
|Green chillies (hari mirch), finely chopped||2 tablespoon|
|Curry leaves (curry patta)||1 sprig|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya), chopped||2 table spoons|
|Turmeric powder (haldi)||½ tea spoon|
|Red chilli powder (lal mirch)||1 tea spoon|
|Hot spices (garam masala) powder||½ tea spoon|
For Coating and Frying
|Salt (namak)||A pinch|
|Sugar (chini)||1 tea spoon|
|Oil||for deep frying|
- 1. Clean and wash the mutton pieces. Boil the mutton with some garlic cloves, hot spices and salt.
- 2. Once cooked drain the stock and de-bone the mutton and shred it using hands and set aside.
- 3. Heat oil in a pan and cook onion till they becomes golden in colour.
- 4. Once done add curry leaves and minced ginger, garlic and green chillies and sauté it for 2-3 minutes.
- 5. Now add turmeric powder, salt and red chilli powder and stir it.
- 6. Then add the shredded mutton and let it cook on medium flame for 10-12 minutes.
- 7. Finally add in hot spices and chopped coriander leaves and remove from heat and let it cool completely.
- 1. Mix together plain flour, wheat flour, salt and oil.
- 2. Gradually add lukewarm water and form soft dough. Leave this aside for 30 minutes.
- 3. Take some dough (lemon sized), and roll it out to about 4 inches in diameter.
- 4. Repeat the process with the rest of the dough and make tortilla/pathiri and keep aside covered with a cloth.
- 1. Place some filling at the centre of a tortilla/pathiri and place another rolled out tortilla over it.
- 2. Now gently press the edges together.
- 3. Then Make a pleat around the edge.
- 4. Repeat this step until all the pathiris have been stuffed.
- 5. In a separate bowl beat the eggs with salt and sugar.
- 6. Dip the stuffed pathiris in the egg mix.
- 7. Fry each of them in oil.
- 8. Flip over and fry the other side too.
- 9. Place them on a serving dish and serve hot.