Chicken Chatti Pathiri Recipe
Chatti Pathiri is one of the most favourite snacks of North Malabar. Here multi layered tortillas are prepared and is stuffed with delicious spicy chicken. Each layer of roti is first stuffed with chicken, and then dipped in a beaten egg mixture and layered to form a stack, followed by cooking in a pan (pathiri). In this recipe, to prepare the tortillas, For tortilla preparation all-purpose flour (maida) is used. The dough obtained should be soft and easy to work with. The dough is rolled to prepare thin tortillas. The tortillas should not be very thin; otherwise they might break while cooking. The pan should be heated beforehand. Hot spicy minced chicken is prepared for stuffing.
The tortillas are then dipped in a beaten egg mixture and placed in a heated and greased non-stick pan. Layering and assembling is an important step in this recipe. The bottom most layer should be that of tortilla, topped with the chicken stuffing, and again topped with a tortilla dipped in egg mixture. The number of layers depends upon the number of tortillas and the amount of stuffing. It should be flipped onto the other side once one side turns golden brown. These delicious Chicken Chatti Pathiris can be cut in different shapes and served with ketchup, in the form of appetizers.
If you are looking for more Kerela Non-vegetarian snacks do check Prawns Ulli Bhaji, Petti Pathiri Recipe, Irachi Pathiri, Egg Cutlet (Malabar Style).
How to make Chicken Chatti Pathiri
|All purpose flour||1 cup|
|Oil||1 table spoon|
|Salt||1 tea spoon|
|Turmeric (haldi)||¼ tea spoon|
|Pepper (kali mirch) powder||1 tea spoon|
|Hot spices (garam masala)||½ tea spoon|
|Onion (payaz), chopped||¾ cup|
|Green chilli (hari mirch), chopped||4|
|Garlic (lahsan) finely chopped||1 tea spoon|
|Ginger (adrakh) finely chopped||1 tea spoon|
|Curry leaves (curry patta)||1 sprig|
|Coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)||2 table spoons|
|Turmeric powder (haldi)||¼ tea spoon|
|Pepper powder (kali mirch)||½ tea spoon|
|Salt (namak)||to taste|
|Vagatable oil||2 tea spoons|
|Vegetable oil||4-5 table spoons|
- 1. In a bowl mix all purpose flour, oil, salt and enough water to make a soft dough , knead the dough until it smooth
- 2. Divide it into five equal part and each piece roll into a ball
- 3. With the help of rolling pin make very thin tortillas
- 4. Cook these in a pan for few seconds (take out before turning brown).
- 1. Take chicken in a bowl in garlic, turmeric, black pepper and salt and water and boil it till chicken becomes soft.
- 2. Now crush chicken with soft hands.
- 3. Heat 2 table spoon oil in pan.
- 4. Add curry leaves, onion, green chilli, ginger, and garlic sauté well.
- 5. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt stir it.
- 6. Add boiled chicken and coriander leaves mix well and keep it for few more minute.
- 7. Turn of the fire and let it cool
- 1. In a bowl add two eggs and stir well.
- 2. Heat a non stick pan and grease it with little oil.
- 3. Dip one tortilla in egg and place this in greased hot non-stick pan.
- 4. Add 2 table spoons of stuffing on above this and spread nicely.
- 5. On top of it, place one more tortilla dipped in egg.
- 6. Again add meat mixture on it and do the same as above.
- 7. Repeat it until the tortilla finish.
- 8. Pour remaining egg on top of it.
- 9. Flip and cook on the other side until it turn golden brown colour. (Use enough oil for cooking).