Lapsi is traditional Indian desserts which need no introduction. It is made on special occasion and festivals. It is also called as “Fada (broken wheat) ni lapsi” in Gujarati.
Broken wheat has several health benefits along with being rich in fibres. This recipe is not only divine but at the same time healthy too. In this recipe jiggery can be replaced with sugar. Adding Cardamom gives tantalising fragrance to this dessert. Jaggery rich in iron, adds more benefits to this recipe.
Lapsi is quick and easy dessert. One can cook it in pressure cooker as well as in a thick bottom pan. In pan it takes long time to cook so I prefer pressure cooker for this preparation. Once this broken wheat roasted in ghee (clarified butter) is cooked and it swells, it’s time to add jaggery, you can also use sugar instead. If you are making it in jaggery it is advisable to dissolve jaggery in some water first and later add this water to cooked daliya (broken wheat). Cook it till all water is evaporated; now sprinkle powdered cardamom and thin cut slices of almonds to it. For variation, nutmegs can also be fried in clarified butter and added to the recipe. Once ready, serve it hot with a teaspoon of ghee on it. Follow the step by step recipe and relish this luscious dessert with your family.
How to make Lapsi Recipe
|Broken wheat (daliya)||1 cup|
|Jaggery (gud)||1 cup|
|Cardamom powder (elaichi)||½ tea spoon|
|Raisins (kismis)||4-5 table spoons|
|Cashew nuts (kaju)||5-6 table spoons|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||2 table spoons|
- 1. Dissolve the jaggery in 2 cups of water, strain to remove residue and set aside.
- 2. Heat one tablespoon of ghee in a pan and fry cashew nuts till becomes golden in colour and keep aside.
- 3. Again add little clarified butter in same pan and roast broken wheat till lightly colour changes.
- 4. Now, pour in the dissolved jaggery and stir continuously until well combined.
- 5. Add cardamom powder and mix it.
- 6. Then reduce the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes or till wheat is completely cooked. (It can also be cooked in pressure cooker for 2 whistles.)
- 7. Once done, allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- 8. Stir in the cashew nuts and the raisins to the above mixture and serve.