Paneer Tikka is a timeless Indian snack. Every time anyone goes to a restaurant or wedding, it is the first item to be served. It consists of chunks of paneer marinated in spices and grilled in tandoor. What’s more, it has a straightforward recipe and the ingredients used are also easily available. Although cottage cheese (paneer) is little bland in taste but mixture of spices make this dish tasty. The convenient preparation time is the cherry on top.
The secret to good Paneer Tikka lies in its marinating mixture, and it brings an authentic flavour to the table. For marination thick curd is used with different spices. Sliced cubes of cottage cheese (paneer), capsicum (Shimla mirch) and onion (pyaaz) are marinated in this mixture and allowed to rest for some time. These cubes are then arranged on a stick, cooked in microwave for a few minutes, and subsequently grilled in a hot oven till they become golden-brown and slightly crispy.
How to make Paneer Tikka
|Cottage cheese, (Paneer) cubed||400 gm|
|Capsicum (Shimla) cubed||½ cup|
|Tomato (Tamater) cubed||½ cup|
|Onion (Payaz) cubed||¼ cup|
|Thick Curd(Dahi)||½ cup|
|Hot spices (Garam masala) powder||1 tea spoon|
|Orange food colour (Optional)||few drops|
|Crushed garlic (Lasan)||6|
|Salt (Namak)||to taste|
|Red chilli powder(Lal mirch power)||2 tea spoon|
|Red cabbage, shredded(Gobhi)||1/2 cup|
|Lime (Nimboo) sliced||1|
- 1. Mix curd, salt, garam masala powder, red chilli powder, orange color (if using) and garlic together till the mixture becomes almost smooth.
- 2. Marinate cubes of cottage cheese, capsicum and onion for two hours in this mixture.
- 3. Now place these marinated cubes in a screw.
- 4. Cook it in microwave for 5 minutes and then grill it 7-8 minutes in hot oven till golden and done.
- 5. Serve "Paneer Tikka" garnished with shredded red cabbage.
- 1. Paneer tikka can also be prepared on a tray/pan instead of screw.