The harvesting season is widely celebrated all over India. In West Bengal, the festival is known as Poush Parbon or Makar Sankranti, and is observed during winters. Pati Shapta is a popular traditional Bengali dessert prepared during this harvesting season. This dish contains thin crepes prepared from all-purpose flour (maida) and semolina (suji), stuffed with tasty khoya. Traditionally, rice flour (chawal ka atta) is used for the batter. But I have not used it here. Coconut (nariyal) and jaggery (gud) can also be used to prepare the filling. Coconut tends to burn easily, so it should be cooked carefully. Milk (doodh) should be added slowly and blended nicely while preparing the stuffing. The amount of sugar (cheeni) can be added according to taste. The consistency of the stuffing is very important; it should be in a semi-liquid state and not at all dry. The crepe batter should also have a fine consistency; it should not be too thick or too runny. Pati Shapta has a creamy interior of kheer, and a soft and smooth texture of crepe or pancake outside. Roasted dry fruits can be used for garnishing the dessert. Pati Shapta has an exciting flavour and melts in your mouth instantly.
How to make Pati Shapta
|All purpose flour (Maida)||200 gram|
|Semolina (Sooji)||125 gram|
|Milk (doodh)||½ litres|
|Sugar (Chini)||6-7 table spoon|
|Vegetable Oil||As required|
- 1. Mix all purpose flour and semolina in a bowl.
- 2. Add water (about 2 -2 ½ cups) gradually in all purpose flour and semolina to make a thick mixture. Add 3 table spoons of sugar.
- 1. Condense the milk by constantly boiling and stirring.
- 2. Add Kheer (khoya) along with 2-3 table spoon of sugar in the milk.
- 3. Cook the mixture on low flame till it turns into semi liquid state.
- 1. Heat a non-stick pan and coat the surface of pan with little oil (as little as possible/use a small ball of cotton for this). Keep the flame low.
- 2. Using 1 big ladle (about 3 -4 table spoons) spread the batter into a round shape of about 4 inch diameter in the heated pan. Fry on low heat till it turns light golden brown.
- 3. Put a table spoon of prepared semi liquid filling. Roll the batter and remove from heat.
- 4. Serve this fresh.