Prawns Ulli Bhaji Recipe
Prawns Ulli Bhaji is a spicy snack from Kerala. It is a deep fried dish prepared from onions and prawns. Prawns are the speciality of Kerala cuisine. They are a rich source of proteins, and help in losing weight as they contain low amount of fats. They also contain a lot of sodium, so it is advisable to not use a lot of salt in the recipe. The prawns to be used should be cleaned, peeled and deveined properly. Rice powder (chawal ka atta) and all-purpose flour (maida) are used together to prepare the batter. Curry leaves (curry patta) is added as it provides the dish with a nice aroma and distinctive flavour. A little bit of chilli is also added. All these ingredients should be mixed well with water to obtain a thick batter, which is not too runny. The final step involves the deep-frying of this mixture in hot oil. For the health conscious folks, the extra oil on the surface of the dish can be drained out by dabbing with tissue papers, which absorb the excess oil. Prawns ulli bhaji taste fantastic when served hot, and contain loads of delicious spicy flavor.
How to make Prawns Ulli Bhaji Recipe
|Onion (payaz)||1 cup chopped|
|Curry Leaves (curry patta), chopped||1 table spoon|
|Rice Powder (chawal ka aata)||2 table spoons|
|All purpose flour (maida)||4 table spoons|
|Chilli flakes (kuta lal mirch)||½ table sp|
|Oil||For deep frying|
- 1. Clean, devein and wash prawns.
- 2. Now add chopped onions, curry leaves, rice powder, all purpose flour, chilli flakes and salt to the prawns.
- 3. Add little water and make a thick mixture.
- 4. Heat enough oil in a deep pan.
- 5. Hold one prawn along with some onion and other ingredients of mixture and drop them into oil.
- 6. Deep fry the mixture in hot oil.
- 7. Prawn Ulli Baji is ready to serve.