Rabri Recipe (rabdi) is a popular North Indian sweet, prepared with milk. Rabdi is a proportioned combination of milk and sugar. The milk is thickened in a thick broad bottom vessel. Thick bottom pan is used to avoid burning. Milk is boiled continuously on low flame and the cream is scraped from sides regularly. Scraping is necessary step of Rabri preparation otherwise it burns very fast. If it burns then it spoil entire taste and awful flavour develop into whole dish.
How to make Rabri Recipe
|Milk (doodh)||4 cups|
|Sugar (chini)||2 table spoons|
|Crushed cardamom (elaichi)||¼ tea spoon|
|Almonds (badam), sliced||2 table spoons|
|Pistachios (pista) , sliced||2 table spoons|
- 1. To make rabri use broad mouthed heavy pan.
- 2. Boil milk over medium heat as milk comes to boil reduce the heat to low flame.
- 3. As soon as the layer of cream appears at the top of milk shift it towards the rim of pan.
- 4. Repeat the process with next layer of cream.
- 5. Keep doing this until milk is about 3/4 in volume and a thick layer of cream is accumulated in the side.(keep the flame low otherwise cream on rim will start burning)
- 6. Once a thick layer of the cream get accumulated at the rim and the milk reduces to 1/3 add sugar, chopped pistachios and cardamom into the milk.
- 7. Turn off the flame and take out the cream with the spoon and fold it lightly into the milk.
- 8. Rabri is ready. Take it out in a serving dish and refrigerate so it gets chilled.